A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

View attachment 1934305 View attachment 1934306 View attachment 1934307 View attachment 1934308 Paul and i went away for a long week end to the homesteaders of america conference. Before we left we had two bug eyed kids under the vicious creature. Then son the young sent a pic of nine more. So total eleven she gave us. The caption he sent with the pic with the lantern was.... this is as close as i was gettin to the cobra. Did not want die of blood loss from many bites. Hahhahahaha! I took the other one yesterday when we got home.

she was the one decided to nest by the shop. @R2elk.... do i remember that possibly the chocolate ones should be jennies? Or am i backwards? Tom is a br and she is a mutt (her dad was a rp and i think her mom is my bronze from her coloring... the other choices of her mom are sg and rp) But i KNOW these are all from her eggs only.

Gotcha thanks! I thought chocolate because a lot of them look like milk chocolate. :). But it is most likely the black a d red makin it look that way i guess.
The posted photos looks like the majority of the poults are a form of black. It is possible that they aren't black if you think they look like milk chocolate in reality. We don't all see the exact same color on our viewing apparatuses.

The problem is that if they are really black, one of the parents would have to be carrying the black (B) color gene. Black is a dominant color gene and will cause the color black to be displayed even if there is only one gene present. Your hen clearly is not carrying a black color gene and as I recall from previous posts, your Bourbon Red tom is also not carrying the black color gene.

Your hen is definitely not carrying the brown (e) color gene because it only takes one brown gene for it to be displayed in a hen. It is possible for a Bourbon Red tom to be carrying a brown gene without it being displayed since it is a recessive gene. However even if the tom is carrying the brown color gene, a mating with that hen and her likely color genes present would still not create any Chocolates.

If your tom wais not actually a Bourbon Red, but a Jersey Buff (BB rr) or a Semi-Jersey Buff (Bb rr), then he would be providing the black color gene and the red color genes necessary for the production of Rusty Blacks with your hen.

Have fun figuring out what is going on.

Aurora...did I understand you haven't had a turkey egg since April or May? That's interesting....

It was about 73 today. Cloudy. Bit of rain here & there. With all the rain the grass in front really sprang up. Daisy had a picnic! Not many kids around since school started. I know she's wondering where they all disappeared too. Neighbor down the street came by to chat. We both plopped down on the front porch steps. Daisy wedged herself between us & kept giving him side-eye. Finally he got the hint & gave her a snood rub. Silly girl....

Aurora...did I understand you haven't had a turkey egg since April or May? That's interesting....

Yup, but remember, I always add supplemental light to my coop and they typically start laying in December/January. But laying October is rather odd. It has to be either, one of the young penciled ladies just starting out or two, an over eager hen. Lil has been squatting for quite a while now......l

i just discovered an unauthorized incubator in my flock today, (she is not a turkey), she is a pure black cochin hen (even her skin, beak, and comb are black just like a Silkie), found her after looking for 5 days, she has a nest of 20 eggs, and the eggs are from her, and the other 2 hens that live with her... since she is 5 days into it I won't stop her. plus she is my prized hen since one of the eggs that hatched from her is growing up and becoming a blue laced Red cochin rooster (had to look up his color since he had a red head, and a blue body at 1 month old, and my mom said he is a keeper for breeding next spring to hopefully get more of that color)

My neighbor who stopped to chat yesterday came back with his wife. He had to show her what a flirt Daisy is. And sure enough, he sat on the porch step, she hopped up & gave him side-eye until he scratched her her snood. And Daisy just closes her eyes & tips her beak up like it's the best thing ever. Not sure how impressed his wife was with the neighborhood turkey hustling her husband during his power walks!

Back
Top Bottom