A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

here is a video I made a while ago before I rehomed Ablyn attempting to examine his shimmer. We couldn't eat him because he's a big loveable goof so someone actually bought him as a pet turkey as yard eye candy. He was so hard on the girls! Esther was pretty heartbroken but glad we didn't eat him. I just couldn't bring myself to do it after he came up for hugs so often.
I thought Ablyn was the other super-shiny turkey. Was he red bronze?

Yep. That is the case with midget whites. The genetics were lost, some people are selling birds as midget whites and they maybe close, but there not midgets..

Sort of like a hairy elephant might look like a wooly mammoths, but it’s not one.

But I gave up on the midget white fight and decided to let people be deceived..

Of course, then the faux story about some guy in Alabama or Arkansas or one of those places too hot for humans to inhabit had some and didn’t know it and these are all descendants of those...yadda yadda yadda
We have to recreate many varieties of poultry in this country, because the price of bringing them in from overseas and having all the health checks is prohibitive. People still enjoy them. Every breed and landrace changes over time anyway, and utility strains differ from backyard strains and from show strains. As the old sheep farming adage says, "There's more difference within breeds than between breeds".

Skinny Iris is so funny! Blossom & Marigold have taken to hanging out on the porch rail with Daisy. The three of them were lined up on one side of the porch rail. On the other side I had hung a towel I used to wipe dog paws with. There was no room left for poor Iris to perch between the fat girls. She was intimidated by the towel and wasn't going to hop up on it. So as I was messing around at the sink I kept seeing her flying straight up in the air. She would hop up but loose her courage & not land on the towel. Poor girl! I went out & grabbed her & scooted the fat girls over enough to wedge her in. So Iris was happy...but the others bailed. Oh well....

Skinny Iris is so funny! Blossom & Marigold have taken to hanging out on the porch rail with Daisy. The three of them were lined up on one side of the porch rail. On the other side I had hung a towel I used to wipe dog paws with. There was no room left for poor Iris to perch between the fat girls. She was intimidated by the towel and wasn't going to hop up on it. So as I was messing around at the sink I kept seeing her flying straight up in the air. She would hop up but loose her courage & not land on the towel. Poor girl! I went out & grabbed her & scooted the fat girls over enough to wedge her in. So Iris was happy...but the others bailed. Oh well....
It's been so long since you mentioned Marigold that I forgot her name.

Rearranging turkeys... always an iffy process. :lau

Kiwi....I can see where turkey feathers could inspire design ideas! And turkeys themselves are quite creative. My favorite was Ralphies boat bird!
My boat bird was simply a result of a my flock of miscreants. It amazes us how much trouble they can cause in a shed by themselves.

Yesterday they managed to drag a leg for a saw horse half way across the shed and leave it in the doorway. Blocking the door from closing.

I had gate parts in a box, over the last two weeks they have emptied it and hid the parts.

Winter is rough on them. I open the door most days for them but they seldom venture outside. I think they get bored easily.

Back
Top Bottom