A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Not a whole lot going on here, either. I haven't been off the property in a couple of months now. It's a really good thing I have all of these birds and the other critters!

Right now I have 8 Black Jersy Giant eggs under a broody Columbian Wyandotte. 6 midget white eggs in the little incubator and approx 35 mixed turkey eggs in the big one. Plus Goldie is setting a mix of 14 Narri and Midget White eggs.

I might even get to plant all these seedlings after the end of the monsoons.
:fl

Fortunately, the kids have been good about grocery shopping, bringing my feed, and fixing a few things around here. I also FINALLY have a riding mower with a bagger (built out of 2 other mowers) - and after I bought a lawn sweeper. Now I NEED to build my little hand hay baler. lol
What does the hand baler look like?

What does the hand baler look like?
There are a couple I want to try. This one below is the mini - minibaler. My brother in law gave me a couple of long wooden ammo boxes that I can make work.
baler2.jpg

baler3.jpg

mini_haybales.jpg

The other one is for a mid-sized bale.

upright1.jpg

upright2.jpg

upright3.jpg

I mow enough grass every summer to make grass bales. Good enough for nests and bedding. Plus I have a huge old garden that I am going to sow some wheat, barley, and oats in. Just have to figure out the best way to cut it.
:caf :D

I don't really want to do it this way.
scythe1.jpg

There are a couple I want to try. This one below is the mini - minibaler. My brother in law gave me a couple of long wooden ammo boxes that I can make work.
View attachment 2105861
View attachment 2105862
View attachment 2105863

The other one is for a mid-sized bale.

View attachment 2105866

View attachment 2105867
View attachment 2105870

I mow enough grass every summer to make grass bales. Good enough for nests and bedding. Plus I have a huge old garden that I am going to sow some wheat, barley, and oats in. Just have to figure out the best way to cut it.
:caf :D

I don't really want to do it this way.
View attachment 2105875
I seen that kind of baler in a homesteading or rabbit group on FB.
I stuff dried grass in feed bags or used leaf bags. Not as easy to stack that's for sure

I seen that kind of baler in a homesteading or rabbit group on FB.
I stuff dried grass in feed bags or used leaf bags. Not as easy to stack that's for sure
Molpet - that is what I was doing. I have bagged leaves and grass for years by literally mowing it, blowing the grass/leaves into rows, then picking it all up by hand. Even so, it is a pain to try and store when my space is limited. I still have two big garbage bags of dried grass stored, but I think I can add that to my compost pile now.

In the meantime, one sister has been bringing me about 15 bales each winter; however, they are no longer making hay and I don't know how much they have left in their barn in VA. I don't really use a whole lot, but it's full of harder stems than I want to use in nest boxes and the bales are so large, they are difficult for me to move them. Smaller bales would make it easier for me.

The only reason to add the grains is so that a portion of the bales will have the seed heads. Gives the birds something to scratch for. I bought the lawn sweeper, a leaf blower/mulcher, and I can buy non-GMO grains from the guy I buy my feed from. One more thing on my list is a rake of some kind. I have an old but very small disc that I load up with cinderblocks to cut the topsoil, then use a hand spreader for the seeds.

My sister just reminded me that her DH found a 14 x 16-foot ocean type fishing net for me. If I make the really little bales, I bet I could hang the net from the ceiling down there and stuff those bales in it. lol

Years ago when we had a 500-acre farm, much of our time was spent growing our own grain feeds (and using a hammer mill) and baling hay for over 100 head of horses and other farm animals. Doing all this now makes me feel younger - even when I have to almost literally crawl back into the house.
:old:old

Molpet - that is what I was doing. I have bagged leaves and grass for years by literally mowing it, blowing the grass/leaves into rows, then picking it all up by hand. Even so, it is a pain to try and store when my space is limited. I still have two big garbage bags of dried grass stored, but I think I can add that to my compost pile now.

In the meantime, one sister has been bringing me about 15 bales each winter; however, they are no longer making hay and I don't know how much they have left in their barn in VA. I don't really use a whole lot, but it's full of harder stems than I want to use in nest boxes and the bales are so large, they are difficult for me to move them. Smaller bales would make it easier for me.

The only reason to add the grains is so that a portion of the bales will have the seed heads. Gives the birds something to scratch for. I bought the lawn sweeper, a leaf blower/mulcher, and I can buy non-GMO grains from the guy I buy my feed from. One more thing on my list is a rake of some kind. I have an old but very small disc that I load up with cinderblocks to cut the topsoil, then use a hand spreader for the seeds.

My sister just reminded me that her DH found a 14 x 16-foot ocean type fishing net for me. If I make the really little bales, I bet I could hang the net from the ceiling down there and stuff those bales in it. lol

Years ago when we had a 500-acre farm, much of our time was spent growing our own grain feeds (and using a hammer mill) and baling hay for over 100 head of horses and other farm animals. Doing all this now makes me feel younger - even when I have to almost literally crawl back into the house.
:old:old
Keeps better for me in a paper bag. It breathes so not as prone to mold... I put them into a run in Lean to shed with a dirt floor. The bottom of the bottom bag isn't to great come spring , if I don't put them on a board. LOL

I help with haying. I handle the hay grounds, irrigation, but my dad sold the equipment so we hire a person to come swathe and bale. We have a hay barn for storage. I hay about maybe 40 acres. It's enough for mom's horses plus some extra to cover the expenses. And bonus I can sell overage in spring.

I help with haying. I handle the hay grounds, irrigation, but my dad sold the equipment so we hire a person to come swathe and bale. We have a hay barn for storage. I hay about maybe 40 acres. It's enough for mom's horses plus some extra to cover the expenses. And bonus I can sell overage in spring.
My cousin bales small squares across the road and at the farm they live at. They supply several boarding barns and her horses. But they use a ton of chemicals and I try to be organic. I do get a few bad bales from her to compost.

Back
Top Bottom