A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I use Payback here, she carries it at my local feed mill. For the adult turkeys, I mix turkey grower and the mill's special scratch that has sunflower seeds, flax, corn, wheat berries, and peas. Not a lot, but they sure love it.
Payback gives you a free bag of feed for every ten you buy!
And the little old lady that runs the mill is super sweet. Only thing I can't get is turkey finisher, as I would have to order it by the ton because her distributor only sells by the ton, unless I wanted to pay 10 bucks extra per bag for organic.
She is one of the only carriers of organic turkey and gamebirds feeds around here.

Okay, if I were to get poults again, what do I do about feed? The feed store I used in the past is out of business, and the only 28 or 30% feeds I’m finding are only online (at TSC) and almost a dollar a pound due to shipping. I swear someone had a list of things to add to the 22% feeds to raise the protein.

Editing to add that the feed stores OneMountainAcres uses are too far from here to be logical for me.

I get mine at Cresson Feed mill. They have 28% starter. I have no idea if they do any kind of delivery service. You could always call and ask. They're great people there :)

I get mine at Cresson Feed mill. They have 28% starter. I have no idea if they do any kind of delivery service. You could always call and ask. They're great people there :)
When my husband’s uncle was alive, I went there a few times. They were jerks to us. :confused: Regardless, it’s worth a try to ask.

For the past few days, Miss Blackberry was disappearing every night and didn't know where she was. I did know what direction she was coming from but that was about it. Well, this morning we finally had a little snow on the ground. I called her for breakfast and she came to eat, all wet with a pile of snow on her tail. I managed to follow her tracks (which were actually really hard to see since the snow wasn't a nice, uniform layer) to a neat nest down a little bank, tucked up against a tree with a couple downed branches near it. It wasn't very protected but it was slightly sheltered. She had 10 eggs. I raided 9 and dropped one :/ They're all in my incubator now and she's back in the pen with one wing clipped. I told her that if that doesn't stop her from escaping, I'll be locking her in the cage inside the pen. She's less than a year old and a new layer....I think I might have just as much trouble with her as I do with Pebbles when she goes broody...

The rotten brat escaped and went right back to the nest... even though I had already taken all the eggs and it was empty. She still complained like crazy when we were talking to her and removing her from her spot. Thankfully, she's a sweet bird through and through. She's now confined to the cage in the coop :rolleyes:

20201214_160753.jpg
20201214_160817.jpg
20201214_160850.jpg
20201214_160937.jpg

Back
Top Bottom