A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

You plan to keep your turkeys in a coop?

I hope you have a large covered run. And I do mean large, not 20x20, but large!

Turkeys need space. They are not large chickens.
a coop with a covered run, soon to be a coop and 10 acers:D:celebrate I am vegetarian, so they are my pet turkeys, andI am taking great care of them untill they free range on 10 acres. do you think they will come back at night?

View attachment 2660053View attachment 2660054
most of my pictures are inside but the heavy duty netting is definitely worth the investment! 1” would only be necessary if you plan to keep quail as they can escape 2” netting. I ordered mine from pinnion hatch farms on Amazon. I plan to eventually remove all the pvc and replace with wood and wires......that would be my only other recommendation when planning and building.
Looks like the wet snow we got here in April. Looks like some Happy Healthy Birds.

a coop with a covered run, soon to be a coop and 10 acers:D:celebrate I am vegetarian, so they are my pet turkeys, andI am taking great care of them untill they free range on 10 acres. do you think they will come back at night?
They will use about an acre of the 10 acres. They will come back. The last thing a heritage turkey wants is to have to fend completely by themselves. They like living on welfare.

ok thanks. does a stripe of feathers up the head mean female? I am kind of clueless
Hens have a mohawk, small(er) cylinder shaped snoods ( toms have snoods that retract into fat cones) hens are smaller than toms. Carnicles are brighter and larger on toms than hens.

Hens have a mohawk, small(er) cylinder shaped snoods ( toms have snoods that retract into fat cones) hens are smaller than toms. Carnicles are brighter and larger on toms than hens.
ok. I think I have a hen. I do not know if she is a broad breasted ehite, or a midget white. she is the size of an 8 week old easter egger, and she is 5 weeks old

ok. I think I have a hen. I do not know if she is a broad breasted ehite, or a midget white. she is the size of an 8 week old easter egger, and she is 5 weeks old
At 5 weeks old, you cannot sex a turkey poult. Both sexes have feathers on their head at that age. You might be able to start being able to sex it at 3 months old.

Most likely a BBW.

Back
Top Bottom