A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have 12 Bourbon Reds. I got them on April 8th. They are like flying puppies now. They arrived at the post office and were the size of chicken peeps. Now they are knee high and I will be trying to clip wings soon so they can be outside in their pen during the day. I think 4 or 5 are hens. I will also be trying to separate the jakes from the hens maybe next month. How many males should I ultimately keep?
How big of a flock do you want?

I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. I also tend to overwinter an extra tom in case something should happen during the winter. I then either sell or process the tom that I don't choose to use as a breeder.

How big of a flock do you want?

I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. I also tend to overwinter an extra tom in case something should happen during the winter. I then either sell or process the tom that I don't choose to use as a breeder.
Thank you. That sounds like a good idea. Would you select for temperment or size or something else?

I have 12 Bourbon Reds. I got them on April 8th. They are like flying puppies now. They arrived at the post office and were the size of chicken peeps. Now they are knee high and I will be trying to clip wings soon so they can be outside in their pen during the day. I think 4 or 5 are hens. I will also be trying to separate the jakes from the hens maybe next month. How many males should I ultimately keep?
Why are you clipping their wings?

They won’t run away, and they will have to walk to your doorstep instead of fly….

Also they are more vulnerable to predators with clipt wings.

Juvies are owl and coon bait in the trees.
They can be. But if you give them a tin foil propeller hat and a couple red and green leds the owls and coon avoid them thinking they are aircraft.

A poult with a clipped wing is owl, hawk, eagle, mink, fox, coyote, coon, dog, cat, possum and wolf bait when on the ground.

Hello! I had to put my order of Narragansett poults on hold until next year due to having surgery this summer. I'm hoping if we enjoy them to also expand to Slates and Jersey Buffs. I've noticed none of the hatcheries carry the Buffs, and they seem really hard to find. I was just curious why that might be?

Back
Top Bottom