A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Uninvited guest.
20230524_124659.jpg

I had a crazy sales experience. I sold some hens to a heritage reenactment museum, specializing in homesteader farm life from the 1800s. They have 2 active farms where they have animals and crops. They wanted heritage turkeys that could go with their Narragansett tom. My mom was already heading in that direction so I was able to help them get their turkey hens! They bought 5 adult hens.
Most folks are just regular people, so this was pretty wild.

I had a crazy sales experience. I sold some hens to a heritage reenactment museum, specializing in homesteader farm life from the 1800s. They have 2 active farms where they have animals and crops. They wanted heritage turkeys that could go with their Narragansett tom. My mom was already heading in that direction so I was able to help them get their turkey hens! They bought 5 adult hens.
Most folks are just regular people, so this was pretty wild.
I had a similar sale a few years back. It was a living history farm, ran as it would have been in the 1920s. They took 2 of my Sweetgrass mix jennies, and then they came back a year or so later and got two more. This is located in a state park, and we have gone and visited a couple of times. Last time we were there though, they said turkeys weren’t really working out for the farm, so they had sent them home with an employee to keep. Oh well. The 1920s farm is awesome though!

Well, I have sold off all my adult turkeys again. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Bourbon Reds just didn’t spark joy enough.

Of the 100 poults I have hatched, I have earmarked only 3 to keep. 1 Rusty Black, just to see what it looks like when it grows up, and 2 of the unexpected mixed colors that weren’t what I was expecting my chocolate lavender hen to throw. I suspect they are red bronzes, which I think are beautiful, so I will grow them out and see.

With 43 other poults to still sell, I may end up growing out more than I plan on. But I’m pretty much guaranteed to sell everything I don’t want to keep by Thanksgiving. The youngest ones will be 6 months old by then.

48820414-2D2C-4A34-B6D6-9AB70A849F17.jpeg
FF2FBE1B-D3EB-4E9D-8606-30DFD67AA631.jpeg
84E0DD3D-FD59-4F54-9F66-971BDDC3359A.jpeg
18B82CA3-B1DC-4B3B-A6C3-B09FCD1013BE.jpeg

I had a similar sale a few years back. It was a living history farm, ran as it would have been in the 1920s. They took 2 of my Sweetgrass mix jennies, and then they came back a year or so later and got two more. This is located in a state park, and we have gone and visited a couple of times. Last time we were there though, they said turkeys weren’t really working out for the farm, so they had sent them home with an employee to keep. Oh well. The 1920s farm is awesome though!
Too many times they get ideas and fail to learn the requirements of following up on those ideas before they implement them.

Well, I have sold off all my adult turkeys again. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Bourbon Reds just didn’t spark joy enough.

Of the 100 poults I have hatched, I have earmarked only 3 to keep. 1 Rusty Black, just to see what it looks like when it grows up, and 2 of the unexpected mixed colors that weren’t what I was expecting my chocolate lavender hen to throw. I suspect they are red bronzes, which I think are beautiful, so I will grow them out and see.

With 43 other poults to still sell, I may end up growing out more than I plan on. But I’m pretty much guaranteed to sell everything I don’t want to keep by Thanksgiving. The youngest ones will be 6 months old by then.
That sounds like a solid plan.
Relating to the rusty black; I have a rusty black tom I let roam my yard. I wasn't expecting it, but he's stunning in the sun. Among other things, he is incredibly iridescent- the most iridescent turkey I have at the moment.

That sounds like a solid plan.
Relating to the rusty black; I have a rusty black tom I let roam my yard. I wasn't expecting it, but he's stunning in the sun. Among other things, he is incredibly iridescent- the most iridescent turkey I have at the moment.
If he’s the one in your avatar, he really is beautiful.

Hey everyone. I've been sharing things with you guys for years but I forgot to share these a couple weeks ago. The school's rock band had their concert. DS is keyboard on most and drums for "Enter Sandman".

Link to videos

They also had their spring concert. DS was vocals and clarinet. DD was vocals and flute

Link to spring concert videos

And before the concert, DS and his best friend decided to do some halfway music to entertain people waiting to go in.

Link to video

And the reason I realized all of this suddenly is DS graduated last night!

20230601_201252.jpg
20230601_201728.jpg

It hasn't hit yet but when it does, it's going to be so hard. DD is stepping in to his footsteps as she will now be in the school rock band (vocals), she is now on the bagpipe line in marching band like he was, and has started playing another instrument (basoon). So all the music stuff isn't going to stop yet but in 2 years it'll all come to a grinding halt... and I won't know what to do with myself then.

Back
Top Bottom