A dog killed my chicken. Can I eat it?

Chucktowncamjam

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
So i've been in the outdoors and around yard birds for long time but i've never eaten a hen that i raised myself. This morning on of my chickens hopped the fence and got into my neighbors yard. She was met by a dog who wasn't too friendly and she was so badly injured I didn't think that she'd be able to recover from it. I ended her life to get her out of the pain but I hate for this to be a waste. This happened right before I was leaving for work (8am) so i put her into a garbage bag and put her in my fridge. So i watched some youtube videos and cleaned her when i got home (6pm) and there is some discoloration in her skin which i assume is just bruising. But there are also some puncture wounds in her back that I'm a little concerned about. I've seen dogs bite deer and hogs before so i assume that the meat is ok to eat but I wanted to make sure from some folks who might have had this experience or something similar.

One thing that I found kind of strange, when I was removing the guts I found an organ that was kind of bubbly all over. I hadn't seen anything like it before so I figured id ask that question too.

Any advice is much appreciated. I'm probably going to eat around the dog puncture wounds just to be safe. Also if someone has some ideas of how to prep this meat ie. salt water, butter milk, etc. I would like some of that advice too. Thanks in advance!

Do Did you take any pictures?

Last edited:
I wouldn't a dogs mouth is full of germs and nastiness

Human mouths have more bacteria in them than dogs do. Which is why a human bite is more dangerous than a dogs. I don't want to waste this entire bird just because a dog bit it. There's plenty of other meat left that wasn't punctured and i removed the head shortly after the incident so it's not like a lot of blood was moving through the wound.

Human mouths have more bacteria in them than dogs do. Which is why a human bite is more dangerous than a dogs. I don't want to waste this entire bird just because a dog bit it. There's plenty of other meat left that wasn't punctured and i removed the head shortly after the incident so it's not like a lot of blood was moving through the wound.
Well it seems like you made your decision so why even ask for peoples opinion

Do you know what the ovary look like? Bubbles could be that

Cooking well will kill most germs... dogs are used in hunting and not all dogs have a soft mouth
I want to see these bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom