A mutation! Stripes in a black bird

Anybody who's ever crossed a black Silkie will be able to prove that there are patterns hidden under the black. They are everywhere.

Yes, there's a member here who's been trying to create crele Orpingtons in an ineffective way. She crossed barred rocks over buff orpingtons and threw in some black australorp somewhere and got a pullet who had similar leakage, confined to the breast feathers.
It had been determined that it was the wildtype gene from the BO showing through.

Explain to me how breast color leakage is its own mutation. Have you seen the Wheaton gene?
These are a cross out of solid black birds from solid black pens. There is no room for leakage. Its my own project line and I pay attention to what animals Im using. I got the parents from quality lines costing me hours of driving to get them not to mention a pretty penny. There is no bulk hatchery birds here.

Ive added an image of the back of Stripes for everyone confused by what "solid black" means.
Also Ive added an image of the mother and father.

Attachments

• IMG_20190617_151316.jpg
    IMG_20190617_151316.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 21
I think I know barley anything about genetics, but this seems like a pattern I have seen commonly on mixed birds... And, I have to say, that silkie is not even kinda close to show quaility, and if they paid alot for him, they got ripped off!
I had the same thoughts. The d'Uccle is more breeder quality. The offcolor of her blue is suspect to me.

I think I know barley anything about genetics, but this seems like a pattern I have seen commonly on mixed birds... And, I have to say, that silkie is not even kinda close to show quaility, and if they paid alot for him, they got ripped off!
he isnt show quality but he is out of a pen that produces show quality. I was always going to use him for this cross project so I wasn't interested in getting a perfect silkie. Just solid black, blue ears, large comb and the beard gene which is hard to come by where I live. his crest is almost all shaved off so it makes him look very goofy.

Back
Top Bottom