A new Coop

Coonie

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Southern Maine
We are interested in making a new coop. We want to buy some full grown chickens and fence them in, because our free ranging chickens are being eaten. We are looking for a coop that would hold 20-25 chickens, how big would it need to be.

Thanks.
frow.gif

If you are going to make a large run of at least 10 square feet per bird, you can go smaller on the coop...about 2-3 square feet per bird...if you live in a warm climate and the birds will be out most of the time. If chickens only sleep in the coop, you don't need 4 square feet per bird. Now, if they are going to spend more time in the coop...especially if you live where it gets cold or rains/snows a lot, then yes, go for at least 4 square feet per bird in the coop and at least 10 square feet per bird in the run.

Keep in mind 4 sq ft per bird is the minimum recommended. For 25 birds I would go bigger than 10 x10, the cost to go to a 12 x 12 is minimal.

I'm going to build a new coop soon & something I keep in mind is that sheets of plywood are 4 x 8. For example : If you make a coop that is 16 x 8 it will be 128 sq ft. You will make less cuts, save time, waste less wood and get the most for your money!

Check also what the county requirements are for having to get a building permit. In my county it is for any buidling that is bigger than 150 sq ft. So I built my last coop 10x14 to stay under that

Back
Top Bottom