A new egg needs some help pics

ruthie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Nebraska
This was a play house when my kids were small. It is 10x12 the door faces west and it has places for windows on the north, south and east sides. I would like to convert this into a coop I could use some suggestions, hubby says I am on my own. In his defense he is really very busy. (He has done 2 for me already)You can't see in the picture but it does have field fencing around it. I would need to predator proof that. I do have some scrap lumber and a couple of partial rolls of 1x2 16g welded wire. a couple of gallons of paint left over from the kitchen remodel. What I need are some ideas I have to go to work but I can't wait to see what ideas are out there.

26382_sany0114.jpg

26382_sany0116.jpg

26382_sany0115.jpg

***Edited to fix last img link***

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my coop anyway I felt comfortable. If you like it, they should like it. You might want to lay something on the floor for them like sawdust, hay, straw, etc. I had hay but it got to be too much of a pain. Now I use sawdust and it works great!! You may need something for their nesting like when they sleep at night or for egg laying. My husband and I used old shelves of ours and put them in there. They sleep onthe top cuz they need to be high up away from predators at night. I also laid some sawdust in the nesting boxes for them to lay their eggs. It helps alot!!! Just make sure there is no openings to outside for predators to come in. It should be just fine then!! Good Luck and enjoy!! We also have a window for them so daylight can come in. They really like that.

i don't see why you couldn't make it work. i'm suspect of the door because i can't really see how it's hanging there. finish off the opening at the top, cut in a pop door if you want, maybe cover up some of the larger gaps and eyeball it for predator entry possibilities.

Thanks everyone
The door is hung with hinges. I found it on the side of the road so I haven't taken the wood blocks off yet . I also have some old barn boards that I am going to fill the gaps with.

Whatever you work out, that is an awesome start! What a great way to reuse your materials too! Welcome....

I got some good ideas from the coop threads...we use Dog Kennels/panels for the runs..and a converted wood shed...so that play house is a fantastic idea!
Cant wait to see the finished product!

Back
Top Bottom