rundown of new chick flock setup

jasmullin

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Eastern Washington State
Hello, building a new coop and run setup for a flock, and any errors in my idea's that can be pointed out and improved would be great. Will try and bullet point things to keep it from getting to long.

Coop will be a 5x4 metal shed (will add photo if I can get it to work) Extra ventilation will be added at the top with shroud covering to keep the rain out. Wood for roosting bars bought and nesting boxes bought. Floor will be two pallets with plywood covering painted to help water proof and raised on 8 concrete blocks to keep it from sitting on wet ground. Covering the plywood with vinyl or linoleum (or dollar store sticky tiles? I know the glue isn't great, but will be dry before chickens added and covered) with deep little method (maybe also tarp hang under roosting bars, say a YouTube vid with something like that) Also debating cutting a whole in the door and hinging a extra window there, or adding a roof vent/turbine. I'll have to see how the ventilation is. Wondering about keeping it dry and warm in the winter. No major freeze in the winter, some days sub freezing, but lots of rain. Silicone all seals, shroud the ventilation and tarp around from the run to keep direct wind off.

Run is ... 10x12? Not to sure, wife bought that. But walk in and pretty big. More then car sized. has roosting bars, but will add dust bath and more things to keep busy. Wire is poor, so Extra will have to be added around the bottom. Nothing sunk under the ground, that might be a issue, but everything I look at is eather a lot of labor, keeps the whole things from being moved if needed, or in the case of pound in underground fencing, expensive. Any idea's for that would be great. Rebar around the edges, pathing stones around the outside edges, fake predator eye lights? Top has a shade covering, but also thinking of tarping it all off due to amount of rain (weeks at a time) area receives. Want to keep things as dry as able.

Extra's. Not sure if this is for only posting about the setup of the living area or all things, but will do a short extras area. Thinking 6, with good sized roost and 3 nesting boxes. Deep litter method with diatomaceous earth. Looked up what scraps chickens can eat. Wife is thinking of fermenting feed, though will see if that lasts. Have a small breed puppy that will have to be trained to be around chickens, so that's some reading I've done. I work nights, ands she has back issues (years of doctors, might finally be figured out with SI joint fission) so I'll end up doing most of the care in early morning to noon.

I know this is very long. Righting down the things I'v been going over in my head for a while now. I tend to almost overthink and read befor doing. At the least, thanks for letting me post and vent. Anything people have to say on my ideas would be great. I take critiques well.

Attachments

• 81gP6Yc6E+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81gP6Yc6E+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 112
Extra ventilation will be added at the top with shroud covering to keep the rain out.
Hi there and welcome, I hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Insulate the roof.. or expect it to rain inside from condesnation on cold sunny mornings NO matter how much you ventilate.

Coop will be a 5x4 metal shed
Pretty small, but with the right layout very doable.. how many birds ya planning to keep?

Wife is thinking of fermenting feed, though will see if that lasts.
I did so for a flock of 82 for 2+ years.. Don't believe the hype.. to me it's irrelevant if using a formulated ration.. didn't save me a dime or increase the health of my flock. It was a fun experiment AND ultimately enrichment for myself though and no harm was caused to the flock.

Deep litter method with diatomaceous earth.
Deep litter or deep bedding? Either way.. skip the DE if possible. Deep litter didn't work for my set up (my birds didn't turn it).. deep bedding however does, described in the following link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

This link describes (one reason) why I said skip DE with regards to your intended use..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-deep-litter-method-of-waste/

Covering the plywood with vinyl or linoleum (or dollar store sticky tiles? I know the glue isn't great, but will be dry before chickens added and covered
I have linolium and hate it for several reasons.. my preference tried and true.. deck stain.

I lnow I missed a lot of points you're still thinking on, but I'm positive you will get more feedback and from folks with a wide array of experineces to share and help figure out what will work for YOUR flock and lifestyle. :)

Hi there and welcome, I hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Insulate the roof.. or expect it to rain inside from condesnation on cold sunny mornings NO matter how much you ventilate.

Pretty small, but with the right layout very doable.. how many birds ya planning to keep?

I did so for a flock of 82 for 2+ years.. Don't believe the hype.. to me it's irrelevant if using a formulated ration.. didn't save me a dime or increase the health of my flock. It was a fun experiment AND ultimately enrichment for myself though and no harm was caused to the flock.

Deep litter or deep bedding? Either way.. skip the DE if possible. Deep litter didn't work for my set up (my birds didn't turn it).. deep bedding however does, described in the following link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

This link describes (one reason) why I said skip DE with regards to your intended use..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-deep-litter-method-of-waste/

I have linolium and hate it for several reasons.. my preference tried and true.. deck stain.

I lnow I missed a lot of points you're still thinking on, but I'm positive you will get more feedback and from folks with a wide array of experineces to share and help figure out what will work for YOUR flock and lifestyle. :)
Late response, I have heavy packing foam boards I could attach to the ceiling. If I mount it and have the roosting bars well below it, they won't be able to peck at it. We're thinking 5 or 6 chickens. Reading the post you linked about deep bedding, That was more what I was thinking yes. Was reading the alittle DE was helpful in there dustbath, which were going to need with the amount of rain and mud we get. Won't be much dry ground for them to roll in to often. Looking at more venting options. Overhang on the roof is small, so might get more metal flashing and add to and increase the angles. Venting and water are going to be the hardest things. But I need to get it set up and see how things go before we get the chickens for it.

Was reading the alittle DE was helpful in there dustbath, which were going to need with the amount of rain and mud we get. Won't be much dry ground for them to roll in to often.
DE is quite controversial and many of us won't touch the stuff.. I'm in the anti camp for a multitude of reasons.. #1 being the false sense of security it gives people regarding parasite protection, seeing the cloud left after the gals walk away from bathing is another. Even food grade should NOT be breathed.

I don't use the chicken chick as my true resource despite also being referenced in my last post.. for that I prefer veterinary resources such as Merck vet manual. Nor do I agree with everything she says but do at least glance at these links since you're still deciding what's right for YOUR flock.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-cut-dry-truth-about-diatomaceous/

https://the-chicken-chick.com/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk/

I expect your foam boards for the roof should work well as described, though I haven't tried or found the ins and outs of that for myself quite yet.

Coop will be a 5x4 metal shed
Run is ... 10x12? Not to sure, wife bought that
So the general rule of thumb for birds and space (not accounting for weather, broody's, roosters, personal cleaning practice, etc) is...

at LEAST 4 square foot per bird inside the coop. Not including space took up by feeder/water, lay boxes, etc.

1 foot of linear roost space per bird. Plus another half to one foot for wiggle room (wing flapping) getting up and down. Preferred roost is the wide side of a wooden 2x4... Or something of similar size and material, flatter than round.

10 square feet of run space bird. (That's really a joke in MY experience and will quickly be covered in poo.)

1 lay box per 3 bird.

For your run.. definitely cover it if possible and find some of the muddy run threads on here.. some materials will just disappear and become part of the mud so using large bark or other multi sized material and debris similar to the forest floor, inviting good bacteria to the party .. bare dirt is what all "runs" become rapidly and a breeding ground for yuck if left that way.

Oh one other consideration regarding coop set ups and what FEELS like it makes a difference to me (as a wife ;)) and might be worth considering if your'e not already.. is definitely droppings boards under the roost that keep the coop floor far cleaner by not including nighttime waste.. if desired, adding a little Sweet PDZ..

I do still hope you get some more interactive feedback. as it's the community of experiences that really helps bring this whole thing together!

Has the Mrs. started looking at chicken breeds yet?

Happy adventures! :wee

DE is quite controversial and many of us won't touch the stuff.. I'm in the anti camp for a multitude of reasons.. #1 being the false sense of security it gives people regarding parasite protection, seeing the cloud left after the gals walk away from bathing is another. Even food grade should NOT be breathed.

I don't use the chicken chick as my true resource despite also being referenced in my last post.. for that I prefer veterinary resources such as Merck vet manual. Nor do I agree with everything she says but do at least glance at these links since you're still deciding what's right for YOUR flock.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-cut-dry-truth-about-diatomaceous/

https://the-chicken-chick.com/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk/

I expect your foam boards for the roof should work well as described, though I haven't tried or found the ins and outs of that for myself quite yet.

So the general rule of thumb for birds and space (not accounting for weather, broody's, roosters, personal cleaning practice, etc) is...

at LEAST 4 square foot per bird inside the coop. Not including space took up by feeder/water, lay boxes, etc.

1 foot of linear roost space per bird. Plus another half to one foot for wiggle room (wing flapping) getting up and down. Preferred roost is the wide side of a wooden 2x4... Or something of similar size and material, flatter than round.

10 square feet of run space bird. (That's really a joke in MY experience and will quickly be covered in poo.)

1 lay box per 3 bird.

For your run.. definitely cover it if possible and find some of the muddy run threads on here.. some materials will just disappear and become part of the mud so using large bark or other multi sized material and debris similar to the forest floor, inviting good bacteria to the party .. bare dirt is what all "runs" become rapidly and a breeding ground for yuck if left that way.

Oh one other consideration regarding coop set ups and what FEELS like it makes a difference to me (as a wife ;)) and might be worth considering if your'e not already.. is definitely droppings boards under the roost that keep the coop floor far cleaner by not including nighttime waste.. if desired, adding a little Sweet PDZ..

I do still hope you get some more interactive feedback. as it's the community of experiences that really helps bring this whole thing together!

Has the Mrs. started looking at chicken breeds yet?

Happy adventures! :wee

Space might be closer to 4 or 5 then, was thinking 5 or 6. Have the lumber to make leaning latter like climbing roosts. Heard flatter is better then round, so there toes can be covered when they sleep. Hadn't heard about lumber under the roost, but that worth remembering. I did see hanging a tarp on the top and to the bottom to make a little net that catches night droppings for easier cleanup. Haven't read much on the run floor, but knew I'd have to keep the mud down, grass and lawn get little swampy already. Was thinking straw might help, but will look into more about that. Wonder if they'd like a small log to hop on and off. The run has a build in roost, but I know they like little swings too.

local TSC has chicken ever few week. I know they have Leghorns, which do well in the area. I also like the look of Golden Comet. Wife would also like a Silky at some point.

Hoping to get sexed ones, if we get a rooster by mistake we'd end up rehoming it.... or eating it... Already having the talk with my wife. There friends and semi-pets. But after years, and no more eggs, what do we do then. It would be hard, but either we'd eat or someone the family know would get a dinner. Let me know if I need to re-edit to remove that bit. I don't know hoe the community feels about talk of that.

Back
Top Bottom