1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a silkie hen laid an egg full of poop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silky ma, Dec 24, 2013.

1. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I pick up 2 eggs yesterday one had some poop on it so i set it on the counter for next use. I just went to use it and it was full of poop.

I do believe it is my top hen who has started to lay the eggs i have been collecting that starting showing up last week. She is proven good egg layer, and the raiser of pretty much all my babies. She isa silkie and i cant find any info on why this happened. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you mean inside the shell or outside the shell?

3. That is too weird. If you mean inside the shell, it wasn't completely clear..

4. silky ma

Sep 14, 2007
    the egg was full of poop, about a broody size ball

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Inside?

6. MrPaterax

MrPaterax Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    Ugh, that sounds disgusting.

7. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    How odd and disgusting at the same time. I want to say its impossible but with chickens who knows. :sick

8. silky ma

Sep 14, 2007
    yes inside, i cracked it open for this mornings omlet- thankfully it was the first cracked- and immidiately dropped it the sink!!!
    Never in my years owning hens have i seen something sooooo gross!!! I hope that there is not a health problem coming on, she is the best brooder I have had !! She always broods indoors with me and upon hatching lets me handel her chicks knowing that any in trouble
    will get my full attention. If anyone has had experience with this and can help I would appreciate the help.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The shell was perfectly formed? How old is she? Too bad you didn't take a pic or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by