a talk with the FAA about eggs

Kaneke

Songster
12 Years
Jan 9, 2008
between Yelm and McKenna
later this week I may get the answer --

was at an aviation expo over the weekend and talked to the FAA Hazardous Materials person there -- about carrying-on fertile eggs

since we might have BYCers traveling from one place to another, who might be "couriers" for eggs ... rather than shipping them USPS or UPS or FedEx ...

according to her, according to FAA guidelines, they CAN be manually inspected rather than X-rayed

she will also contact the TSA (better the FAA asking, than a passenger !) to see what their official position might be on fertile eggs which must not be X-rayed .. and she'll get back to me this week

also, might be necessary to have a USDA stamp of inspection on the eggs ...

likewise, the air carrier (airline) might have a regulation about "livestock" carried aboard, though I would think an egg carton in a padded box would be the "personal item" of luggage already allowed ... once passed by TSA

maybe we could have a separate "Travel Plans" item in the categories, with posts like "hey, I'm going to Location X from Location Y, anyone need eggs transported?"

who knows, it might work

from overseas -- I suspect the Dept of Agriculture would really want to inspect those very carefully

depending of course on where they came from (country) and whether from a commercial hatchery or from hobby breeder or ??

also, don't know if those would cause any problems for Customs

worth pursuing, though ... why don't you ask ?

C

Back
Top Bottom