abit of advice please

m.hubbard

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
hay all iv just recently bought some quail egg to do along side my chicken eggs .
but iv got 60 of them and it's a bit of a task to turn all 65 eggs at one time so i was wondering if i put the quail eggs back in the trys thay came in just to make it easyer and the bators not open as long to. i acn put pics up if needed .m

Yes - you could use the trays that they came in, just poke holes in the bottoms to allow the air to circulate. Prop one side up and alternate/rotate it at least 3 times a day.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend incubating chickens and quails in the same incubator. Chickens require higher temps and less humidity than the quail plus have a longer incubation time.

if my math is correct you have 60 quail and 5 chicken eggs..

If you are turning tham by hand, you will probably break a few quail eggs before hatching time..

I would put all the eggs into containers and tilt the bator.that way you won't have to open it at all

Last edited:
hay thanks for the verfy quick replys .

i was on the understanding that quail and chickens need the same temps a humidaty as the site state times and temps for all sorts.?

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm#inc

i realised that thay dont take as long as chicken eggs thats why the chicken eggs whent in four days before the quail eggs .and i have another bator to put them in once thay start hatching .

how come i dont have to open if i just tilt it ?

Jvls is suggesting that you tilt the entire bator instead of opening and tilting the trays. I have read of others trying that, but I would think the water in the troughs would spill. It's definitely worth a try though.

I read the hatching info but I'm not sure I would agree. In my experience in my still air bators, chicken eggs hatch beautifully if the temps are kept between 101-102 and the humidity is kept below 45%. Quail hatch better if the temps are consistent at 99-100 with a much higher humidity. My gauges were off but I kept all the water troughs filled the entire time so I would estimate the humidity was between 60-70%. I have tried hatching quail at the same temps and humidity as chickens and while some did hatch, the percentage was not very good. High humidity with chickens can cause deformities.

thanks for all the info .

iv got 2 home built still air bators with papper cups of water in the didital hygromiter is set at
at min 99.5 and max of 102 so temps are ok .the humidity is around 55% not sure how to get it down tho if i need to.

i may just put the quails in the other bator id rather turn them but may give it a go on the next lot tho.m

i was thinking of using my pekin bantam for hatching sum eggs .do you think she would hatch quail eggs ?

Last edited:
Right, I would suggest firing up both bators and separate the eggs. In a still air if the temperature is right for the chicken eggs, measured at the top of the eggs, it will be too cool for the quail.

oh right both bators are on as i thought the quail eggs would take up more room .

so how war5m should it be for either chicken eggs or quail eggs?

im getting confuseed on the temps now.m

p.s a big thanks for all the replys .m

Glad you're going to split them up - you'll have better luck that way!

Chickens (in still air bators): 101-102 w/ humidity 30-45% through day 18 then up the humidity to 65-70% the last 3 days.

Jumbo coturnix (in still air bators): 99-100 w/ humidity 50-70% through day 14 then up the humidity to 70-75%.

Good luck with your hatches!!!

Back
Top Bottom