1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

acceptance

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by davecash, Jul 22, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    say i have rhode island red hens, and i bring in another breed of chicken little chicks, will the rhode island red accept the chicks and protect them as her own?

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Only if she is broody. I am not sure that a hen that isnt broody will accept baby chicks. Maybe someone else has more info for you.
    Kristyne

3. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    okay im new to this chicken buisness, what does broody mean?

4. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Broody means that she wants to sit on a nest of eggs and hatch babies. Kinda like baby fever for humans.
    Kristyne

5. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    You might want to check out the info links on the BYC home page. There is a lot of good general information on there. Welcome to the board!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Only a broody hen will accept chicks and protect them if her broody timer has gone off(sitting for at least 2 weeks). Else you risk her or non broodies just killing all the chicks. The type of chicken doesn't matter and if the broody is ready. If you don't have any broodies, regular hens will hurt the chicks. You need to raise them up to about 3 months old before they can hold their own against the older ones. Even at that, you will need to integrate them and let some pecking go on because they will have to establish their own order.

7. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    do you know of anyone who sales hens who are about to lay, or whom have just started laying?

8. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    You can check out the Buy, Sell Trade section of the forum and post what your looking for. You may even find someone local that would be willing to sell you some. Good luck.
    Kristyne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by