Adding chickens to flock

angelnina

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Seattle area
I bought two pullets today that are the same age as the chickens I have now. Do you think it is safe to add them to the coop tonight while they're all roosting?
Or will they hurt the new chickens?

Prob end up hurting them in the morning when they all wake up but Ive never tried it. I ususally put a smaller cage in the big cage and let them meet first.

Quarantine
Quarantine
Quarantine!!

Don't let the birds in with your existing flock until you're CERTAIN that they carry no diseases. There are too many stories on the forums of people infecting their flocks and losing a lot of the birds as a result.

where did you acquire your new chickens? swap meet? neighbor? feed store? flea market? friend with a hobby farm? As innocent as any of these may seem, you don't know what you're exposing your original chickens to when you bring in newcomers. Do yourself a BIG favor and have a separate isolation/quarantine area to keep your new babies in for at LEAST a month, until you can be reasonably sure they're not carrying an underlying illness that can spread to your others. Too many folks have lost too many chickens (or tropical captive birds) to this type of situation. Better safe than sorry, IMHO.

Read this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17696

Peruse
the "Emergencies" threads about quarantine - both from people who did & those who didn't. Just yesterday someone posted that she was glad to have isolated 2 new birds because they did get sick.

I have to admit to being a hypocrite in this regard. I got a banty from someone when my other girls were a month old. I didn't know better and didn't quarantine. I got lucky and everyone is fine... but I could have lost my entire flock and had to start over again. Better safe than sorry. I'll never intro new birds to my flock again now without isolating them first.

I should have added-- The chickens I bought are from the same feed store mine are from and they are on the exact same diet and age. I was able to see where her chickens live and it was very clean and she had 6 chickens together in her backyard--they roost and sleep in her garage at night--in another very clean pen.

They look as healthy as mine, but I will take the group's advice and keep the two new chickens in a separate pen.

Thanks for the info. When I do introduce them, should it be during the day?

Once quarantine period is over...

People tend to introduce carefully, like in separate pens/cages where chickens can see each other but not touch. Do that at day. Move closer & closer to see if problems arise. If not, put them in at night once everyone has roosted. Waking up together seems to help. There will be squabbles as the pecking order is re-established, but that's normal. If problems/fights get violent, separate and start with the re-introduction again.

If I may interject a question...

What if problems do arise? I introduced some new hens to my flock and for the most part, all is well on 5A Farm. However, there is one hen-Janet-that my roos attack every chance they get.

How do I fix that?

I have too many roos and (if any one in Southern Va wants a free RIR rooster, please contact me. I can't bring myself to make dumplins out of my boys) I wonder if once I decrease my roo population will that help?

I have too many roos and (if any one in Southern Va wants a free RIR rooster, please contact me. I can't bring myself to make dumplins out of my boys) I wonder if once I decrease my roo population will that help?

Yes, I believe that WILL help! Good luck!​

Back
Top Bottom