Adding More Chickens

Pics
I LOVE your coop set up!! I would probably not add as many as 11 though. You would definitely need a lot more room if you were to go that route. It's been awhile since I've had chickens though I've been on a duck kick lately:)
I don’t think should add 11 anymore, but perhaps a total of 11 or 12 would work :)

I would personally add no more to that run. I say this from experience- it's a lovely run, but it would get messy, muddy and stressful with many more hens...
I am unsure too. People tell me different things. I spend a lot of time watching my flock and sitting in it with them, and I feel like two or three more hens would be okay when I took out that snap lock in the back.

Like I said I’m unsure. I just want to do what’s best for my flock while also wanting to respond to my chicken desires. 😉

I am unsure too. People tell me different things. I spend a lot of time watching my flock and sitting in it with them, and I feel like two or three more hens would be okay when I took out that snap lock in the back.

Like I said I’m unsure. I just want to do what’s best for my flock while also wanting to respond to my chicken desires. 😉
I'd say, wait. I have a run the same size and when I have to lock them in it bullying and mess is the result. Not trying to discourage you, because more a great, but a bigger coop and run would be advisable first.

I have 220 square foot chicken run, which currently houses 7 hens. Do the math, and I could potentially add 11 more (assuming I build a larger coop outside of the run and clear the space inside) hens giving them about 12 square feet each. I just want opinions on the idea, I’m curious as to wether or not it would work.

Here is my run (currently with a coop and a few things inside taking up space) View attachment 2535806
My opinion only. Please don’t take offense. If you add eleven it’s going to be way too tight unless you double or maybe triple the run space but I prefer more run space for the chickens to have to spread out. I like your activity centers you have in place now for your girls but just in my opinion you might could remove a few to add a few more birds and still be in real good shape. You have a nice run set up. I have nine birds in a 12w x 40L space but I had the yard space and the husband willing to build it. Our coop is 12x10x12h. I will probably not add anymore birds because they are producing all the eggs I can handle right now and I don’t sell my eggs right now. I have an arrangement with my neighbor to provide them with eggs for some other services that their kids help me with when we go out of town like chicken sitting and dog sitting so it works out. I get at least five or six eggs a day usually except for one at the most two days a week for now while they are in their primes. Good luck on your expansion projects and adding more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom