Englishable

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
UP of Michigan
Last year we got a breeding pair of French Toulouse goslings. I'm thinking about ordering some more (perhaps two more females and one more male). Will this work, or would our adult gander claim any new females and pick on a new male? Or should I get them in pairs?

One of two things will happen. One gander will claim all the females and the other will hang at the edge of the flock. Or the two ganders will share the females and get along just fine. Its really a 50/50 chance of either.

One of two things will happen. One gander will claim all the females and the other will hang at the edge of the flock. Or the two ganders will share the females and get along just fine. Its really a 50/50 chance of either.

Ok, I guess we'll try it then! Do you know if there's an ideal ratio for geese? Both for keeping the peace and fertility? With our chickens, we're aiming for a 9:1 ratio, though there's still a very obvious head rooster. Our guineas are probably close to 1:1 with no issues, our Rouens 5:2 with no issues (we originally had 6 females to the 2 males, but one female died).

My experience with bringing in new pairs or trios is that they will integrate during non-breeding seasons, and assuming they have enough space, will split off into subgroups with little problems during breeding season. I have 32 geese and maintain mostly 1:1, but have a couple extra girls for each group since mortality issues are higher for females during laying season.

Back
Top Bottom