Adding new chickens? First time chicken mom

Gardenlover

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hey y’all, so a little back story. I’m a first time chicken mom, started with 5 babies who are now 10 weeks. Out of the 5 two are Roos and I cannot keep them because of my city. I have someone who will take them already that’s not a concern.

My main concern is replacing them, I don’t want to only have 3 but cannot have more than 5. My coop and run are an ok size but they aren’t huge and I cannot free range. (Again my city sucks)

I have read that taking away and also introducing new chickens is quite the process. I have an option to get pullets around the same age as my current ones/slightly older but I fear I don’t have a proper way to quarantine them or even after the proper amount of time to slowly integrate like it’s recommended.

Someone online recommended getting young chicks again and getting around 4 to factor the chance of more Roos and brood them in the coop in a blocked off area until they’re about 4-6 weeks and claimed they would be fine to introduce since they’ve spent time in proximity to each other.

Really just looking for any suggestions y’all can give. Thanks so much!

I’ve also attached a picture of my coop and run in case seeing what I have to work with is helpful.

Attachments

• 64E0EDFE-4BC7-4AD9-894D-AA06898D11C1.jpeg
    64E0EDFE-4BC7-4AD9-894D-AA06898D11C1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Welcome!
Under no circumstances would I ever add grown birds to my flock. Chicks from a major hatchery only.

Chicken diseases are real and not something you want to accidentally bring home.

I'd order sexed chicks from Ideal hatchery now and add them in now while your birds are still young.

Largely agree. I would try to get chicks from the same place you got your last ones. Also agree--getting at least 3 if not 4 would be good. Clearly you have a mechanism for what to do with additional birds. It will also help the baby chicks fend off the older chicks if they have some friends. Pullets can be ruthless sometimes to the little ones. Some recommend separation until the chicks are older, like 8-10 weeks while others say as soon as possible. I generally do the former over the latter but see pros and cons to both. There are a lot of threads on integration that you can look to for guidance with 10 recommendations for every 9 responses. :)

Largely agree. I would try to get chicks from the same place you got your last ones. Also agree--getting at least 3 if not 4 would be good. Clearly you have a mechanism for what to do with additional birds. It will also help the baby chicks fend off the older chicks if they have some friends. Pullets can be ruthless sometimes to the little ones. Some recommend separation until the chicks are older, like 8-10 weeks while others say as soon as possible. I generally do the former over the latter but see pros and cons to both. There are a lot of threads on integration that you can look to for guidance with 10 recommendations for every 9 responses. :)
I got my last chicks from a local woman off Facebook who hatches and raises them, I wouldn’t say she’s “reputable” or anything. Would you think this would be safe still? It looks like a lot of online minimums are much more than I need.

I would go with her again. Theoretically the chicks have all been exposed to the exact same environment. Unlikely, assuming this person hasn't herself introduced new chickens, for your chicks to pick up a "new" bug. That said, in separating them the first week you'd achieve the same goal of quarantine and be able to watch.

Back
Top Bottom