Adding new hens to my flock

0125201657.jpg

Nice, you've definitely got lots of space to work with, which will make for easier integration regardless if it's chicks or started pullets/cockerels.

BTW is that a heat lamp casting that reddish glow? You definitely don't need heat in Alabama.

Nice, you've definitely got lots of space to work with, which will make for easier integration regardless if it's chicks or started pullets/cockerels.
For sure, plenty of space to build an 'isolation' space and a separate run.

BTW is that a heat lamp casting that reddish glow? You definitely don't need heat in Alabama.
Was wondering that too.
...and roost spacing looks a bit tight.

You have lots of room in the coop. In central Alabama yours should have access to the outside every day, which helps. You said they free range. If that is both groups you have it made if they've both been free ranging at the same time for a few weeks.

That looks like a ladder roost to the left. Not sure how long it is or if the top is higher than the nests. Doesn't look like it. From the poop, it looks some may be sleeping on top of the nests anyway. I personally don't see a problem with that as long as they are not sleeping and pooping in the nests.

If both groups have been free ranging for a few weeks I'd try moving the young ones into that big coop at night. That's even if they have not been mingling together, just tolerating each other. That's equivalent to housing them where they can see each other as far as getting them used to each other, you are just a step ahead. Wait until it is dark and pick them off their roosts, then put them in the dark main coop. Use a flashlight but keep it as dark as you can. Don't give them enough light that they can cause problems. If all your older ones are sleeping on top of the nests I'd put the new ones on the ladder roosts. If some are sleeping on the ladder roosts I'd put the new ones on the coop floor and let them work it out in the dark. They will be OK. Then be down there at first light to see how it is going. It may be pretty peaceful or you may need to open that pop door and let them out. Repeat this process until they put themselves to bed in the main coop and you are OK with them together in the morning. That might be one night, it may take a few weeks. I've had groups do both as far as going to bed. If they don't go to the main coop at night they will probably return their old one so they should be easy to catch at night. I've never seen any real aggression in the morning but I consider it good practice to make sure. Each group is different. This is the way I do it but mine are typically 10 to 12 weeks old, not six months.

If they have not been free ranging together it gets more complicated. If they are housed where you can just let them free range for a couple of weeks and return to where they now sleep, let them before you try the above. Or you can fence off a part of that big coop and house them in there a week or two in a look but don't touch situation before you let them out during the day.

Dad would have just taken taken them to the main coop in the morning after the others were out and about and turned them loose. He free ranged like you do and it was not a problem with younger chicks. But he was OK with them sleeping in trees, not sure you are. I'm trying to give you the best chance of them sleeping in that coop.

If any start sleeping in the nests put up another roost higher than the nests and move any in the nests to that higher roost at night. They should soon get the message.

Good luck. With that much room I think you have a good chance of it going pretty smoothly.

Yes it is a heat lamp. We've had a few nights in the 20's and I keep my flock cozy.

Back
Top Bottom