Adding to flock

Alicatt

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
catskills, New York
So I am considering getting 4 black austrolorps supposedly they just started laying. I am just concerned about mixing them with my birds. Currently I have a 20x10 dog kennel with a 4x6 coop attached to one end. My newest chickens, now 2, never slept in coop, but on roosts in the covered/tarped corner of the kennel. Only the rooster and his sister, almost 4 now, sleep in the coop. I guess my question is... how should I go about acclimating them? I can add another 10x10 kennel and make an L out of them... I worry that if I just put them in, they will be harassed mercilessly, some of my chickens aren't too nice to each other. (I currently have 6 hens and 1 roo.)

I wouldn't add any more to your current set up, it will be too tight unfortunately, especially if you are seeing aggressive behaviors from your current birds.

Thank you for confirming what I already thought. I do know from the past that my situation can accommodate 10 hens amicably, but they all grew up together. There was no rooster then either. I should show you pics of the coop. The kennel is covered and is tarped and protected, I add more tarps as it gets colder. Only 2 birds sleep in the wooden coop. The kennel becomes quite cozy with the tarps in the winter and is essentially a large coop. I am loading it now with leaf takings and will add hay as needed. I think I also need to consider culling the 5 year olds, and the rooster. Hard when they are pets too!!

Last edited:
Thank you for confirming what I already thought. I do know from the past that my situation can accommodate 10 hens amicably, but they all grew up together. There was no rooster then either. I should show you pics of the coop. The kennel is covered and is tarped and protected, I add more tarps as it gets colder. Only 2 birds sleep in the wooden coop. The kennel becomes quite cozy with the tarps in the winter and is essentially a large coop. I am loading it now with leaf takings and will add hay as needed. I think I also need to consider culling the 5 year olds, and the rooster. Hard when they are pets too!!

Good plan, out with the old in with the new.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom