Adopted neighborhood stray chicken

Pics

new_chick_mama

Chirping
Jan 13, 2021
Hello! There is a situation where family moved out across the street and left their rooster, and 2 hens. I had no idea they had moved out until recently after finding out that the rooster had been hit by a car. I have my 9 of my own chickens that are 13 weeks old. I love animals in general and could not bear the thought of the 2 remaining hens being left to their own devices searching around garbage cans for food. Before I could do anything, one of the hens vanished completely. (I live in Belize.. loose dogs and opossums) The other hen was skittish, but I started feeding corn to her everyday for about a week to get her a little more comfortable with me, while I was searching for where she went to roost each night. Night before last, I found the spot in her old backyard. She was inside a falling over, rusted, and dilapidated coop.
I created a temporary space for her yesterday and quickly captured her yesterday evening.
I've taken some pictures of her eyes, face, feet, and general body. She appears to be a barred rock favorelle cross... Seems fairly healthy considering... she is quite quick and very vocal. :) she surprised me with a very pale tinted egg this morning.
Any feedback would be great as to her condition. Im going slow with her. Giving her electrolytes in her water, healthy food. Adding a bit of garlic and herbs. She has a great appetite and drinks plenty of water.

Attachments

• 20210124_081913.jpg
    20210124_081913.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210124_081850.jpg
    20210124_081850.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210124_081905.jpg
    20210124_081905.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210124_080805.jpg
    20210124_080805.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210124_090827.jpg
    20210124_090827.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210123_183706.jpg
    20210123_183706.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 39
Hello! There is a situation where family moved out across the street and left their rooster, and 2 hens. I had no idea they had moved out until recently after finding out that the rooster had been hit by a car. I have my 9 of my own chickens that are 13 weeks old. I love animals in general and could not bear the thought of the 2 remaining hens being left to their own devices searching around garbage cans for food. Before I could do anything, one of the hens vanished completely. (I live in Belize.. loose dogs and opossums) The other hen was skittish, but I started feeding corn to her everyday for about a week to get her a little more comfortable with me, while I was searching for where she went to roost each night. Night before last, I found the spot in her old backyard. She was inside a falling over, rusted, and dilapidated coop.
I created a temporary space for her yesterday and quickly captured her yesterday evening.
I've taken some pictures of her eyes, face, feet, and general body. She appears to be a barred rock favorelle cross... Seems fairly healthy considering... she is quite quick and very vocal. :) she surprised me with a very pale tinted egg this morning.
Any feedback would be great as to her condition. Im going slow with her. Giving her electrolytes in her water, healthy food. Adding a bit of garlic and herbs. She has a great appetite and drinks plenty of water.
Good for you! She looks so sweet. It was amazing of you to take her in. Just be careful that she and your other chicks are separated, you don't want her to pass them anything.

Good for you! She looks so sweet. It was amazing of you to take her in. Just be careful that she and your other chicks are separated, you don't want her to pass them anything.
yes, I don't have space to have them far apart right now... but the situation could not be helped... Her droppings look good, and I have looked at her skin and do not see anything... I use food grade DE with my chicks in their bedding and dust bath area.. and used plenty for her too.. I love her so much... she has an opinion about EVERYTHING lol very chatty!!!

yes, I don't have space to have them far apart right now... but the situation could not be helped... Her droppings look good, and I have looked at her skin and do not see anything... I use food grade DE with my chicks in their bedding and dust bath area.. and used plenty for her too.. I love her so much... she has an opinion about EVERYTHING lol very chatty!!!
Aw. She seems really nice.

Very nice of you to patiently gain her trust and then rescue her!

If she and the others were wandering the neighborhood before, any diseases she might have have likely already been passed on, so quarantine is probably a moot point.
the others are mine and were not in the street.. so hoping the best considering I had limited options in helping her.

the others are mine and were not in the street.. so hoping the best considering I had limited options in helping her.

I meant the other hen (that vanished) and the rooster that was hit by a car. If he was on the street, then he was likely walking around the neighborhood too, and may have already passed through/by your yard. So anything he might've had, your flock would have been exposed to it already.

Back
Top Bottom