Adult Female And Duckling

JustKayla

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Hiya,

Over the weekend, my Mum got me a Muscovy duckling as an early birthday present. And this little duckling (Frankie is the name of it) is quite vociferous and when it can’t see anyone, Frankie is making those loud calls like calling it’s mother.

This is where I’m curious.

I have an Indian Runner x Khaki Campbell, Marvin, that is a female. The Indian Runner breed is strong in her because I’m always doing an egg hunt in the morning for her eggs, haha. Now, I know that Indian Runners aren’t really the broody type and they don’t sit on nests. But when Frankie is calling for someone to find and follow around, it seems that Marvin is replying to Frankie (still unsure if Frankie is a girl or boy). So, could Marvin be replying to Frankie or just talking?

Photo of Frankie attached

Attachments

• 7FB08A61-8141-4E2C-A14E-48056050A3D1.jpeg
    7FB08A61-8141-4E2C-A14E-48056050A3D1.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 15
Your wanting to know if Marvin is interested in Frankie as a baby? Let Marvin meet Frankie with supervision of course and see how interested Marvin is? I doubt she’d take Frankie on as her baby but my Runners are very accepting of new ducks in the flock. Let us know how it goes. Also to keep Frankie happy when you can’t be with her give her a mirror that she can’t be injured on and a stuffed animal to cuddle with.

Frankie has been introduced to my ducks; my biggest male is a little nasty towards the duckling. But the other 3 are very curious. Marvin hangs around, and sort of tries to do the “I am the alpha” thing to Frankie but most of the time, she’s happy enough to watch Frankie swim around in the water. The other two just curiously watch. I take Frankie down every day to allow my bigger ducks to get used to Frankie.

Funnily enough, I’m getting a new little duckling on saturday, haha. Hopefully it’ll allow Frankie to settle and not be so stressed :D

Frankie has been introduced to my ducks; my biggest male is a little nasty towards the duckling. But the other 3 are very curious. Marvin hangs around, and sort of tries to do the “I am the alpha” thing to Frankie but most of the time, she’s happy enough to watch Frankie swim around in the water. The other two just curiously watch. I take Frankie down every day to allow my bigger ducks to get used to Frankie.

Funnily enough, I’m getting a new little duckling on saturday, haha. Hopefully it’ll allow Frankie to settle and not be so stressed :D
Awesome sounds like your doing great...

Sounds great! Remember to post pics of your little babies(when you get your new one)!

WAIT QUESTION FOR YOU NOW!!! You said you have a runner KC mix!!! My duck has a fawn and white runner mom but we can't decide if dad is Buff or KC. Just a lot of votes adding up pretty much equal! Do you have any pics of Marvin?!
Here is Gilberta, my indoor runner mix. Her runner is also definitely stronger!
3.jpg IMG_0214.jpg IMG_0283 2.jpg IMG_0818.jpg IMG_0882.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0331.jpg 56887752538__0B85FE0E-4183-442E-8670-16034FDA6725.JPG
Does she remind you of Marvin or do you think she's a bit different and has a buff dad?!
THANKS SO SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0281 2.jpg
    IMG_0281 2.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 6
WAIT QUESTION FOR YOU NOW!!! You said you have a runner KC mix!!! My duck has a fawn and white runner mom but we can't decide if dad is Buff or KC. Just a lot of votes adding up pretty much equal! Do you have any pics of Marvin?!
Here is Gilberta, my indoor runner mix. Her runner is also definitely stronger!
View attachment 1657807 View attachment 1657808 View attachment 1657809 View attachment 1657810 View attachment 1657811 View attachment 1657812 View attachment 1657813 View attachment 1657814 View attachment 1657815
Does she remind you of Marvin or do you think she's a bit different and has a buff dad?!
THANKS SO SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!
Oh my goodness, I fell in love with your duck :love She does remind me of Marvin! Marvin has the runner stand as well but the Khaki build. Is she noisey? Cause Marvin is when she’s laid, or she’s demanding food, or telling on another duck hahaha

But I’m thinking it’s a hard call for her dad cause she does have similar brown shades to Marvin :)

Here’s some of my many photos of Marvin :love
D47BE7C0-2CD7-47AD-AA5A-B6CE169FAC49.jpeg
4B40DC97-1519-40A7-B185-51AF5D53BA2C.jpeg
6E2F0138-A3D1-4A95-AF52-5284F4F19C7C.jpeg
711D1689-F278-4479-B2C1-8E7D644B6261.jpeg
1F5A4958-04C3-4CE1-AAF9-1F82B1060497.jpeg

The others in the photos are Lemon (white, she passed away ), Greyson (grey in the back) & Daffy (black)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom