Adult rooster foot becoming deformed now walking on wrist! What is causing this?!

redzambezi

Hatching
Jun 16, 2019
My 5 year old rooster had bumblefoot years ago and pneumonia in 2015, and made it through those, though he was left with a sneeze. I moved him to the Florida panhandle and over the past several weeks I noticed his legs/ feet seem swollen and red, but it's always kind of looked like that.

Then the toe on his left foot started to severely curl inward in the past few weeks and he had problems balancing and this morning he had problems walking. Now he is walking with his foot folded entirely over on his "wrist". I love this bird! What is causing this? I need to take quick action. Is it a disease? His roost? Parasites? It's florida and I'm not familiar with all of the things here. Its happened within weeks or months, so its been fast. I attached a photo but can upload a closer up if needed. He's on shavings but you can see his entire foot is now curled under.

My 5 year old rooster had bumblefoot years ago and pneumonia in 2015, and made it through those, though he was left with a sneeze. I moved him to the Florida panhandle and over the past several weeks I noticed his legs/ feet seem swollen and red, but it's always kind of looked like that.

Then the toe on his left foot started to severely curl inward in the past few weeks and he had problems balancing and this morning he had problems walking. Now he is walking with his foot folded entirely over on his "wrist". I love this bird! What is causing this? I need to take quick action. Is it a disease? His roost? Parasites? It's florida and I'm not familiar with all of the things here. Its happened within weeks or months, so its been fast. I attached a photo but can upload a closer up if needed. He's on shavings but you can see his entire foot is now curled under.

My rooster’s foot swelled and was hot. There was nothing to squeeze out. I took him to vet and he got antibiotics and pain meds. I took care of him and he slllooowly improved. BUT he foot seemed to kind of harden and it is like a club foot. He is comfortable and can still play with the girls, but other rooster dominates him now. He also lost his spurs. But he is doing well. Still onry but walks with quite a limp. His foot never returned to normal. We soaked it and everything but it seems like it is as good as it is going to get.
Good luck.

D7EBA1CA-794C-4D24-A2EB-423653F10DA6.jpeg
DF10CE0F-56E9-4F94-97ED-15B513C14563.jpeg
CBF5EB8F-0D0F-4670-8F7A-B3A7A5D5B31B.jpeg
A2E9F560-6899-4401-BD44-6D26112268FB.jpeg

Hopefully some others will add opinions to mine. It looks like he has scaly leg mites which need to be treated, debris is built up and he has scale loss. Link below for that, I use castor oil. He would probably benefit from daily soaks in epsom salts to help bring swelling down. Did he walk normally before with no curled or wonky toes at all? Color in the other toes doesn't look good to me, but maybe it's just the picture or contrast with the red one, but bad mites can cause loss of circulation. Any signs of bumblefoot on the bottom of that foot? I would start working on the mites, and see what others have to say. Supplementing with some vitamins for a while won't hurt, particularly the B's.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

97A2E889-6B11-4D10-9BC0-61BA53199CFA.jpeg
1442E2EF-8B0C-478A-A02C-F83798DDCBCF.jpeg
99E73E8E-4BCB-4A56-80CF-B561B1E13C72.jpeg
1DB5DC02-D0CB-4686-A68C-17D3BF5A99DE.jpeg
717DD524-DFF4-4B8C-9307-1D3860653E47.jpeg
This is what his foot looked like when it was bad and first started. It looked so sore. I still don’t know how he Made it. I gave him special dinner and Gatorade at night and let him sleep in the baby house till he got more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom