adult with splayed legs

I found it at my local feed store, it is marketed as a supplement for show birds. but I would suspect any poultry Vitamins in liquid form would work. I give about 3cc's per day and did start noticing improvement quickly which leads me to believe it was a vit def. I am just hoping he does not have permanent damage.

If she makes it through the night I am going to try that.

Thanks for the info !

Hope your Roo continues to improve.

My hen's not doing well. I stopped forcing food into her yesterday when I noticed her crop wasn't emptying anymore. I've started giving her aspirin--40mg every 5 hours or so, with a little watered down milk from an eye dropper to wash it down. Probably overdosing her, but I figure I'm losing her, so I want to make her comfortable if I can. Funny thing is, she's moving her head more and preening occasionally--something I haven't seen her do for quite a while. I hope you all are doing better with your chickens.

My hen died early this morning. She seemed to be doing surprisingly better the last couple of days. She even ate and drank a little on her own yesterday. I think the aspirin did help her feel better. But she had her eyes half-closed more often than not, whereas most of her illness they were wide open. She also did not poop other than a very small, dark green spot the previous night. I think everything was shutting down. We're very sad.
I'm going to see about a necropsy. I'd really like to know what happened.
Thanks.

I am sorry to hear about your hen. I just saw this, but do feel there was no way to help her. I would recommend a necropsy to identify the cause and put your mind at ease. Could have been really anything but lymphoid leukosis (adult form of mareks) comes to mind with the symptoms she was showing. It could have even been tumors causing neurological problems. You did the best you could for her and now she is at rest. :aww

Jody

I just recently joined the board. Last year I had a similar problem with a hen. It was Mareks disease. There is lots of info on it on the message board at www.the-coop.org. I also learned from a poultry vet and from people online that it almost always starts on the left side. My hen lived, but she will always be a carrier, so now any new chickens I get must be vaccinated as day old chicks. Once one has it, they have all been exposed and are all carriers. The disease is found in all parts of the world. I was told by many people that the only prevention is vaccination, and if you have chickens long enough, sooner or later you will have Mareks.
Jody

Thanks for your reply. Please do let me know if you come up with anything else.
The cat food is just to bulk her up, only started after she fell ill and became thin.
Thanks.
Try giving her Calf Manna, it's 1 tsp. mixed with her feed per day, and if she is broody layer give her 1 Tbl. per day in her feed. Also add Hydro Hen to her water for 12 hrs. and then plain water for the next 12 hrs. Give her vitamin E and B complex daily for 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom