Advice/help requested - 8x8 shed to coop conversion

I guess I'd just cut a hole in the siding that's 10 3/4"h x 16 3/4"w.
Put flashing at top of hole, use 2x2's inside to support weight of window, and caulk window to inside of siding.
.There's more but hard to type it out, could make you a drawing, but not today.

@aart You are too good to us here! :bow:hugs
I think I understand what you're saying though... Cut the hole slightly smaller than the window and fit it in so it has the siding to act as the flange that it's missing.

Tomorrow we are going to try to get the run done... I made a checklist about a mile long that I'm hoping we can get through with little or no trouble. I'm also really hoping it doesn't rain on Sunday so we have an extra day to work if needed. :fl

My one roadblock is how to secure the bottom of the shed since it is raised up on 4x4s? Attach HC to the side and make an apron onto the stone? Attach some PT wood of some kind? I'd like it blocked off to predators and potential chicks.
20170905_151425.jpg

Thank you everyone again!

Hope this is visible and makes sense.
How it looks assembled, steps to assemble may take more thought.
'Front' view from inside coop to the left,
'Side' views to the right....no 'hidden lines' so may be confusing.

upload_2017-11-3_10-36-15.png

Attach HC to the side and make an apron onto the stone?
Sounds good. May not need much of an apron (cause can anything dig thru those rocks?)just enough to use those pavers to hold it to the ground.

Hope this is visible and makes sense.
How it looks assembled, steps to assemble may take more thought.
'Front' view from inside coop to the left,
'Side' views to the right....no 'hidden lines' so may be confusing.

View attachment 1177403

Sounds good. May not need much of an apron (cause can anything dig thru those rocks?)just enough to use those pavers to hold it to the ground.

Oh my goodness you are AWESOME. :eek::bow
I totally get it now! Thanks a million!

I'm not sure if anything can dig through! So far nothing has tried. *knocks on wood* So are you saying to lift the pavers to then set the HC under? Cause that should be relatively easy.... Unless all the rocks decide to topple out. :rolleyes:

So are you saying to lift the pavers to then set the HC under?
Or put more pavers on top of the HC apron...apron about 8-12" then get 16x8x2" pavers to hold apron down...or piece(s) of wood with pavers or blocks on top to hold it down...probably lots of options. Just want to hold the apron down so nothing can get under it.

Looks good !
Is putting the window Under the roost a good idea?

Can you put it on the other side of the roost?
I am thinking draft and light issues.

I still have to put another window on the side of the Rubbermaid shed/coop. But mine will be close to the top and across from the roost area. plus the sun rises from that side so I am lucky.

Or put more pavers on top of the HC apron...apron about 8-12" then get 16x8x2" pavers to hold apron down...or piece(s) of wood with pavers or blocks on top to hold it down...probably lots of options. Just want to hold the apron down so nothing can get under it.

:thumbsup

Looks good !
Is putting the window Under the roost a good idea?

Can you put it on the other side of the roost?
I am thinking draft and light issues.

I still have to put another window on the side of the Rubbermaid shed/coop. But mine will be close to the top and across from the roost area. plus the sun rises from that side so I am lucky.
Thanks! I'm planning on putting 2 windows (the small ones are identical) on the N&S side for a cross breeze. I can crack them open just a bit or open them the full 2-3". I have larger windows planned for the East side, and possible cutouts w/HC for the upper half of the doors on the West side.

Photo updates:
20171104_145017.jpg
20171108_113400.jpg
20171108_113406.jpg

The majority of the pieces are in, just need to add chicken wire to the top half of the dividing wall, the back of the nest box and steps to it, and another little step to the roost for my little silkie. Oh and the windows. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to do the run this weekend, since we weren't able to this past weekend. :fl

Oh...
My...
GOODNESS!

We're finally done!!!

:celebrate

I mean... There are a few things left to do, and some little final touches to add, but for the most part the coop and run are finished! I took a few pictures quick today before I called it a night...

20171127_154517.jpg

I am SO freaking proud of this door, I never in my life imagined I would say that! :lol:

20171203_075426.jpg
20171203_075435.jpg
20171203_162757.jpg
20171203_162808.jpg

The extremely spacious run! Fiancée says that now we'll have to let them have chicks since we have the space. ;)
(I know someone might suggest more framing, but at this point my chicken funds are a bit low... :oops: Also, my former-pheasant-raiser FIL assures me it should be fine...)

20171203_165930.jpg

Everybody at bedtime, not going where I want them to go. :p They're quite confused and it's only the second night, so they haven't quite figured out where to go to roost - although last night my rooster tried to scale the inside shed partition and landed on my head! I slowly walked to the roost/poop board and got him to roost on there instead. :lol:

I'm sure I'll be back with a few more updates/possible questions... But THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I definitely would not have been able to do this without you all and this amazing site!!

WooHoo move in day!!

my rooster tried to scale the inside shed partition and landed on my head!
BTDT...not the cockbird, but other birds, until they figure out were the mesh is...
.... it is kinda hard to see. They'll figure it out.

There are a few things left to do, and some little final touches to add
It almost never ends.

You know that mesh on the run roof is not going to withstand much if any snow load, got any upgrade plans??

You might need some higher fronts on the nests.

What do you have for ventilation?

Back
Top Bottom