Advice needed on picking a rooster breed

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
I debated whether to put this on the breed forum or this one, but I guess it has more to do with behavior, so here I am.

I have six pullets. In the spring we are going to get five baby female chicks and one baby male chick to add to the mix. I ultimately want to raise a rooster that will be a good protector, but not extremely aggressive. I also don't want one who will completely wear out the hens
love.gif
hide.gif
. Any advice?

Other relevant information: we live in Western Massachusetts in the country. We have too many predators to free range, but the chickens have a sizable and inside the barn which is connected to a decent sized one outside. I have 2 BOs, 2 EEs, and 2 RIRs. This spring we will add five pullets: a combination of wyandottes and/or welsummers and/or a dorking or two.

Thanks!

I would use a RIR rooster. Mine have always been very gentle once they learn who is boss. The benefit of a RIR roo is that a lot of hybrid layers are based on them due to the genetics of egg production.

I feel like (perhaps over-optimistically) that we can show the rooster who's boss with us, but the main thing is but I don't want to tear up the hens. Yours are pretty good about that?

Sorry for posting again, but you are being very optimistic to assume that if you buy 6 baby birds that all 6 will survive, and furthermore that all 6 will be fine specimens. You might consider (in addition to your females) buying 2 or more roosters and then keeping only the best. Like all livestock, it's the male that is most important. A genetically poor male will produce genetically poor results no matter how many girls he has.

I use a silkie, we got him at a fair here in Maine and he has been great with baby chicks, seems to be a good teacher for them. and protector, we merged him in with our other 4 hens after he spent time with the 2 baby reds 5 months ago, they are all doing great in one room

I've always heard Barred rocks are gentle (Towards hens, and people.. even though there are exceptions) and are fairly well protectors.. But never had any experience with them..

As far as tearing up the birds, you can always temporarily separate the rooster from the hens if he has a bit too much desire. A hens eggs will be fertile for about 2 weeks after mating. If your goal is to hatch eggs now and then and he is a bit oversexed, then you can raise them side by side with some wire between them ( so they see each other and can socialize to some degree) and just let him in with the girls a few weeks before you are going to collect eggs for hatching.

Last edited:
For me, it's been how we've handled the rooster rather than the breed. The more we've handled them as chicks, the nicer they are. My best rooster so far is Stupid, who is a barnyard mix (to put it nicely!). I got him as a two week old and spent a lot of time with him. He's a BR/NN/Silkie and is good sized, but is a very friendly guy and doesn't mind being handled.

Back
Top Bottom