Advice on my free range peas

htg722

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
My peahen and peacock have been freeranging for 4 months. Things are going very smooth. They stick close to the house and either spend their days in the fence row , front porch , the garage or their barn . They usually have roost in the rafters of barn (where we want them) but now here's the problem. They started roosting on our small barn roof all night . Even in downpour rains. We even have a perfectly good giant old tree they can roost in but no. I think they want to be close to house! They want to come in our house even. What should I do ... Start penning them at night? I don't want them out in open

Penning them would probably be your best option if you want them off a roof or wherever else they are roosting. Once they find a roost they like they tend to stick to it no matter what the weather is like.

My peahen and peacock have been freeranging for 4 months. Things are going very smooth. They stick close to the house and either spend their days in the fence row , front porch , the garage or their barn . They usually have roost in the rafters of barn (where we want them) but now here's the problem. They started roosting on our small barn roof all night . Even in downpour rains. We even have a perfectly good giant old tree they can roost in but no. I think they want to be close to house! They want to come in our house even. What should I do ... Start penning them at night? I don't want them out in open

I agree with Midnightman once they get comfortable its hard to change their minds. Consider this, if theres not an issue with them on the roof I would leave them be as its probably safe for them or at least it feels safe to them. The weather is not an issue as they can take a punishing and drive on, hopefully @KsKingBee can chime in with a pic of one of his peas encased in ice. If it gets to bad they will voluntarily move to cover. I hope this helps,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

If they roasted in a tree I would feel better, but am just very uncomfortable with them on the roof out in open. Im terrified of an eagle or owl swooping down on them. I started to just lock them up in the barn at night and they can roost in the rafters( that's where I feed them so I don't have trouble getting them in there ). Winters coming and am nervous about them being out in the elements too. Im thinking a heating lamp and lots of straw laid. I would like to see that Icy peafowl picture!

One caution - raptors migrate. What worked out fine this summer may not be safe as the weather changes. Other predators also change their habits and hunting grounds when winter arrives. I wouldn't worry about the weather hurting them but free ranging comes with a lot of other risks.

p.s I will open barn doors in morning so they can still spend the day outside , if you call
Our garage outside. I have a huge mirror in there and they love to stare at themselves all
Day . I even bought a mirror for our back porch and have cardboard roosting boxes in front of it so they have another place to stare at themselves. They love mirrors!!

I know it comes with s risk but The days are pretty safe for them . They stick close and my Chessie dogs ( who are ironically bird hunting dogs) are out with them a lot and they are big protectors . Fully trust our dogs with them. They know they are family . As a matter of fact I walk in garage the other day and the dogs and peas are taking a nap together . It's darling.

I agree with htg722, a mirror will keep them coming back to the place you want them-(just don't face it into the sun!) I have a couple safety- plexi mirrors,( I got pretty cheap as seconds) from a glass/mirror source that even drilled holes in the corners so I could wire them up to the chainlink fence. My birds have not left home since. Depending on where you live, it may not be an issue being out at night. I'm in Ohio and my peafowl will roost out most summer evenings, but will start to roost in the hen house come winter. The India Blue are incredibly cold hardy and as long as they have a good view of their surroundings(hence their chosen roost) they feel safer from predators. Possibly the tree roost offers raccoons or such, an unfair advantage.
To keep birds from perching on visitors cars(got to be a real problem)- I erected a garden trellis/arbor thing at the top of the driveway. It has a better elevation than the car roofs and has a great vantage point for the birds to view their domain. That has worked out great for day time, but nothing beats the roof for night. When its really stormy out, I will leave outside lights on and the garage open so they can seek refuge if needed.

He even announces when my son comes home late! Hogging the mirror Vinyl trellis with banister pieces on top for better perching.

Back
Top Bottom