Advice urgently needed please.....

MazB

In the Brooder
May 12, 2016
My duck has been sitting on her 14 eggs for coming up to 4 weeks now, they are due to hatch any day. I'd really appreciate a bit of advice. She lives with our drake in a big fenced off pond with lots of grassy space around the banks. My questions are, when shall I seperate her from the drake? I have put another duck house in for him already, should I start putting him in his own house at night? I have built a solid run made from a wooden frame and chicken wire for the ducklings to be in to keep them safe from predators and the pond. How long do I leave them in the run before introducing them to the open space? Will they be OK to naturally hatch with mummy duck in the duck house? I have faith in nature and I really want them to hatch naturally but I'd like to be prepared incase I need to step in at any point. Advice appreciated :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
You should probably fence the drake off now before any hatch just to be safe. The ducklings should hatch fine if the mother did her job well but even then you may get one that just doesn't want to hatch right. If an egg or two is left in unhatched a day or two after all the others have then you'll want to take if to try and save it. I link an article of assisting hatched for you ( it's about helping chicks hatch but it works the same for ducklings). But like I said the eggs should hatch fine. Also if the mother pushes out an egg that seems like perfectly healthy, leave it, I read a story a little while of someone helping a duckling hatch after the mother had pushed it out only to find that the duckling's legs were deformed beyond hope. The mothers know whats best and if she pushes out an egg or two there's probably a good reason why. Good luck with the babies!

Hi virus thank you so much for your advice. I have separated her from the drake and she seems happy and content in her new haven. I've filled a cat litter tray with water as a little pond for her, do you think it is big enough? She can sit in it and wet her feathers, I just hope it is big enough. That link is absolutely wonderful, I've had a thorough read through and I've done some more research so hopefully if any assistance is needed then I can feel confident to step in. Thanks again, I will update when any start to hatch!

No problem! The tray is fine she just needs to be able to take a dip to wash her feathers though you may want to check and make sure the ducklings can get in and out of easily. I hope all goes well!

Well tonight we spotted some eggshells and then some ducklings under jemima! She gave my husband a peck fir going too close. I'm very pleased they've hatched. We couldn't count them as we didn't want to disturb them. Virus do you have any advice on how long we should keep mummy duck in with the babies? I'm so proud of them
1f60d.png
1f44c.png

I am in the same situation. This Thursday will be exactly 4 weeks since by momma duck starting sitting on the first eggs. She and the other female continued to lay eggs for several more days. I don't think she is still laying, but my 2nd female has continued to occasionally lay more eggs in the same nest during this whole time. My momma duck is still with the other female who is not sitting and the drake. We plan to separate the drake tomorrow, but should I also keep the other female all others grown ducks away. We have 4 others that currently separated from the original 3 because my drake is a bully to them since we just got them this year and he is 2 years older.

Will the momma continue to sit on all eggs until the all hatch or she eventually kicks them out bc something is not right with them? The last I counted, there were at least 16 eggs in nest, but may be more now since the other female continues to lay. Is it advised to keep momma and ducklings in the coup and the others in the fenced yard as long as all have access to their own food and water supply??

Hi I'm not entirely sure what you should do as I am a first time duck keeper, but if it were me I would seperate the duck that is sitting and make a coup for her to sit in peace without being disturbed and I would keep her in with any other females that you think are sitting or likely to sit on their eggs So they can sit on their eggs together (providing it's not too small a coup). Is it the first time your Mumma duck has gone broody?

Hi I'm not entirely sure what you should do as I am a first time duck keeper, but if it were me I would seperate the duck that is sitting and make a coup for her to sit in peace without being disturbed and I would keep her in with any other females that you think are sitting or likely to sit on their eggs So they can sit on their eggs together (providing it's not too small a coup). Is it the first time your Mumma duck has gone broody?

She has been laying eggs since last fall, but first time for her to go broody. I got my original ducks about 2 years ago & knew nothing about them. I have been learning as I go. We have lost many to predators so this is the first time I've had one go broody. I welcome any advice or shared experience as these ducklings should be here any day now!!

Last edited:
Hard to see them, but had at least 2 ducklings in the nest today. I did find 1 broken shell outside of the house yesterday, so not sure of it came from one of them. Otherwise, don't know where the other broken shell is. Both look to be healthy!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town! The ducklings should all be walking around and eating by now so if you want you can take the mom away or give them another day. If she's still on the nest and you haven't seen any babies out from underneath her then shoo her off for a second and see how many have hatched and how, if any, are left to hatch. If there's some newborns, like ducklings that aren't walking yet then keep the mom with them for a few more days until all babies have hatched and are walking and eating. Again sorry for taking so long!

Back
Top Bottom