Affordable incubators and eggs for school project?

Suzannah

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Georgia
I have a student who is designing and building a chicken coop for her school project this year, and we have decided that we might like to try to hatch the eggs while we are building. We were looking at this set for quail, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions for other sets.

We would love this set, but that is more than I can spend. Thanks for your help!

If you're going to be hatching in the classroom, an automatic egg turner is crucial, as you will not be able to come in and turn eggs three times a day on weekends.
Make sure your student includes turning apparatus in their plans otherwise you will not have a good hatch, even if all other variables are not a problem.
In our area, breeders make eggs available at special prices for classroom hatching- and the chicks have a place to go when the project is over.
Good deal for the farm as well as for the class.

We have a different kind of school set-up; not traditional at all. 104 on the automatic turners, though. We have a place to go; the student is designing a chicken coop, so they will go there when they are grown, and there is a place for them when they are not, too.

No fertilized eggs where we are right now; I am looking for incubator sets, maybe, that come with eggs, or a good recommendation. We don't need 30 eggs or a huge, industrial incubator, though.

Are you home schooling? I would think if you take a collection amongst your group, where you can all pitch in an buy one to share. If you do home school, isn't there a group of other parents that would be interested in doing a similar project.

Im not sure what your price range is but this little one is a good one http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Mini_Advance_fully_digital_7_egg_incubator-230.aspx That easy to use , has a turner, and a digital display it also alows you to see in from all sides and is small enough for a small area if you dont have alot of room , you might be able to get a cheaper styro bator but once you ahd a fan and a turner it would be close anyways .
http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/basic-incubators

I wouldnt recomend the little tiny chick bator or whatever its called , people have managed to hatch from it but it has no thermostat or fan so its easy to fry the eggs .
When were you thinking of setting eggs. I could send you come serama chicken or some Jumbo brown quail eggs but if its befor Jan you would have to pay for shipping as my money is already gone for Dec , Dang christmas time
tongue2.gif

I think you should try and take up a collection, I'm sure if parents knew it was for projects and would be around for others to use, they would be fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom