Afraid to go to bed?

Grandmadee

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
Layton, Utah
Those few of you who know me, I am in Utah, I haven't had chickens in ages. I bought 4 tiny chicks from IFA. One turned out to be a Bantam and one turned out to be a rooster. The roostereo was adopted out to protect my grandchildren and dogs. The kids were nervous around him so I thought it best to find him a new home. He left on 30th of June. That night they went to bed just fine. But ever since then they are sleeping on my patio table, until I pick each one and carry them to the coop. I'm wondering if the fireworks are making them nervous or the lack of the rooster being there. They are all tame and have been handled daily since the day we got them. Any ideas?

I had to put a small "night light" in the coop for a few weeks until they got used to the coop. I was told they were probably afraid because the coop was darker than the outside and so they would not go in to the dark.

Now I make sure it is still light outside when I put them to bed...slowly they are returning to the coop on their own at dusk but I still have to put the "night light" in there for some of the others or I have to fight to get them in there.

I bought a simple little solar camp light that works great!! I charge it during the day put it in there at dusk and then it slowly fades out within a couple of hours.

Those few of you who know me, I am in Utah, I haven't had chickens in ages. I bought 4 tiny chicks from IFA. One turned out to be a Bantam and one turned out to be a rooster. The roostereo was adopted out to protect my grandchildren and dogs. The kids were nervous around him so I thought it best to find him a new home. He left on 30th of June. That night they went to bed just fine. But ever since then they are sleeping on my patio table, until I pick each one and carry them to the coop. I'm wondering if the fireworks are making them nervous or the lack of the rooster being there. They are all tame and have been handled daily since the day we got them. Any ideas?
Hi, Grandmadee! Soft music playing always helps, or a sound machine. A fan blowing might also relax them
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Looks like maybe the problem is solved.Now that the 4th of July celebrations have quieted down, (we have lots of noise and fireworks)tonight at least the girls have gone to bed on their own.I imagine the clear roof of the coop was also a bit scary.

Last edited:
We may have had another setback today. My son came over and brought his dog.He is still a youngster but a big Wimereiner. I looked out the window and saw him with my little Buff Cochin banty in a his mouth.I yelled "dead chicken "

I think, I really don't remember. I don't even remember running down the stairs from our deck to the yard. He dropped her and I scooped her up. She was alive and scared to death, but so was I. No blood, but a few missing feathers. I took her to the coop and put her in her nesting box. She stood up and called to the other girls and walked out of the coop. All seems well I'll cry later. The dog had only instinct and luckily a soft mouth. Accidents happen. To everyone else it is just a chicken. But you all and I think a little differently. Thank God, literally. All is well.

Back
Top Bottom