After a surprise Cockerel, could you guess the sex on my other "pullets?"

I'm going out on a limb here, I know it's way too early, but here's my guess.
I think you have 3 pullets and 2 cockerel, but I claim the right to change my mind when you post pictures when they are older! :)
Which do you think are the cockerels? I hope you’re not right. That would be pretty bad luck for me. I got 6 total and one is already confirmed boy…

I have what this wonderful community thinks to be a surprise Cockerel from TSC's pullet bin. Was hoping I could post my other chicks to see if the folks here could throw in guesses for these. all about 3-4 weeks. Did my best to get photos but man its not an easy task! Thanks in advance for input!

Buff Orphington
View attachment 3555146

RIR
View attachment 3555147View attachment 3555148

White Leghorn
View attachment 3555149View attachment 3555150

Easter Egger
View attachment 3555151View attachment 3555152

And I'll add this one I posted about the other day. Mystery breed. Male or female?

View attachment 3555167View attachment 3555168
I think there's a good chance your Orpington is a hen, she looks just like ours, but a couple weeks behind. The Easter Egger, I think it is a hen also.

The white leghorn, I think you really cannot tell at this stage, both the sexes get huge combs, and our hen had a noticeable comb quite early. (Although we adopted her when she was about eight weeks old, so I don't know what she looked like younger.)

We did have a Rhode Island red, but a fox got her when she was about five months old, six years ago. Can't really remember her chick stage anymore.

n
Your mystery breed looks just like our (probably) cuckoo Maran, although yours doesn't have feathery feet, so I guess it's not very helpful. We're quite sure ours is a boy at this point, and at four weeks the comb looked just like yours.
French Cuckoo Marans will have feathered feet, standard will have bald shanks 👍.

Legs look a bit darker in the pic, and is assume that's what you have there - a standard.

Which do you think are the cockerels? I hope you’re not right. That would be pretty bad luck for me. I got 6 total and one is already confirmed boy…
Aside from the little bit of red feathering that appears to be coming in on the EE (usually always means cockerel) I don't think you have anything to worry about. I wouldnt stress about the EE either, just speculation.... but keep an eye on those feathers!

@fluffycrow will be here shortly to tell me I'm wrong 😉

Thank! I have a good comparison now too with my definite cockerel in the bunch. This was last week and comb is even bigger and flopping over. So disappointed
It really is looking like it isn't it, we're pretty disappointed too, we would love to keep our roosters, but we have to (cross fingers) find a good home for them when they start crowing. We're not allowed to have them where we live.

Enjoy him while you've got him, aren't they beautiful and adorable? Do yours have names? Our cuckoo Maran is "Puddle", our buff orpington is "Octavia". Names thakls to my kids. We've also got two gold laced wyandottes, "Chippin", a boy, and "Jupiter", unknown still. (getting tiny red wattles, but the comb is not red, and the feathering is coming in entirely differently from the other one.)

We also got 3 bramas, "Opal" (boy), "Honeydew", and "Jambalaya", both hens we think. And no, we will never eat any of them.

If you are interested in pictures for comparisons, I can try to figure out how to add them later…

My suspicions would be #1, 2 but again I reserve the right to be wrong and then change my mind when they are older! haha. I lean more on those than the others, but many things will change over the next few weeks so keep us updated. I don't mind being wrong, my wife tells me that all the time :)

It really is looking like it isn't it, we're pretty disappointed too, we would love to keep our roosters, but we have to (cross fingers) find a good home for them when they start crowing. We're not allowed to have them where we live.

Enjoy him while you've got him, aren't they beautiful and adorable? Do yours have names? Our cuckoo Maran is "Puddle", our buff orpington is "Octavia". Names thakls to my kids. We've also got two gold laced wyandottes, "Chippin", a boy, and "Jupiter", unknown still. (getting tiny red wattles, but the comb is not red, and the feathering is coming in entirely differently from the other one.)

We also got 3 bramas, "Opal" (boy), "Honeydew", and "Jambalaya", both hens we think. And no, we will never eat any of them.

If you are interested in pictures for comparisons, I can try to figure out how to add them later…
Trying not to get too attached with names and what not. Proving hard already since I just love sitting and watch them. They’re such cool creatures. We are limited to how many we can have so we will likely retire this flock around age 3 to make room for more. And we also can’t have a rooster. Not sure I’d want one even if we could. At least not as a newbie.

Pictures of your matching breeds would be wonderful! Thank you so much!

Aside from the little bit of red feathering that appears to be coming in on the EE (usually always means cockerel) I don't think you have anything to worry about. I wouldnt stress about the EE either, just speculation.... but keep an eye on those feathers!

@fluffycrow will be here shortly to tell me I'm wrong 😉
I welcome any and all input from the BYC experts!

Back
Top Bottom