Afternoon layer

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
OK I just foolishly thought the girls would pay their rent first thing each morning. But, no I have one laying (I think it is only one) and I am getting one egg every other day. But, not until after four or so in the afternoon.

So now I check for eggs in the morning and the evening before I bed them down. This is a bit of a hassle at this point - bad coop design issues but new coop is under construction!

Will this settle or is she gonna be an afternoon layer all her life?

I have 7 pullets and they lay through out the day. I've read a hen lays an egg every 25 hours. If it gets too late in the day they will wait until the following morning to lay.
I never get eggs after 4 or so.

I also have one doing the same, some mornings I get 2 eggs then one later in the day, other days I get a few hours between each...lol.

These girls are all new layers so I am hoping it will settle down over time.

I am really just glad they are now laying. One more to start yet.

Good luck to you that yours also gets into the rythmn.

Jena.

Quote:
chicken lickin is right. It cycles. I have a couple of girls that I have to wait in the dark for them to finish laying before I close the coop up for the night, just so I collect their eggs. Once it gets to a certain point and time, they stop that and start all over again in the morning.

I have 5 that are laying right now and it can be anytime of the day. On one cold night I was checking the coop at 10:00 p.m. to get that last egg so it would not free by morning.
celebrate.gif

Lights go out here at 9 PM. The birds are always on the roost by 8:30 but not much before that time.

Nearly every day, the last egg shows up in the nest box after 8 PM. It is not the same hen's egg each time.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom