Afternoon layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 15, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OK I just foolishly thought the girls would pay their rent first thing each morning. But, no I have one laying (I think it is only one) and I am getting one egg every other day. But, not until after four or so in the afternoon.

So now I check for eggs in the morning and the evening before I bed them down. This is a bit of a hassle at this point - bad coop design issues but new coop is under construction!

Will this settle or is she gonna be an afternoon layer all her life?

2. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I have 7 pullets and they lay through out the day. I've read a hen lays an egg every 25 hours. If it gets too late in the day they will wait until the following morning to lay.
    I never get eggs after 4 or so.

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I also have one doing the same, some mornings I get 2 eggs then one later in the day, other days I get a few hours between each...lol.

These girls are all new layers so I am hoping it will settle down over time.

I am really just glad they are now laying. One more to start yet.

Good luck to you that yours also gets into the rythmn.

Jena.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:chicken lickin is right. It cycles. I have a couple of girls that I have to wait in the dark for them to finish laying before I close the coop up for the night, just so I collect their eggs. Once it gets to a certain point and time, they stop that and start all over again in the morning.

5. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I have 5 that are laying right now and it can be anytime of the day. On one cold night I was checking the coop at 10:00 p.m. to get that last egg so it would not free by morning.[​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I get mine up until 5pm at night.

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Eggs don't come on exactly a 24 hour cycle. Rare is the bird in my flocks that lays the same time every day.

Wayne

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Lights go out here at 9 PM. The birds are always on the roost by 8:30 but not much before that time.

Nearly every day, the last egg shows up in the nest box after 8 PM. It is not the same hen's egg each time.

Steve

9. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I have six laying hens and I get eggs all day long right up to bed time.

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Thanks for telling me to check more often! Sure enough there was no egg last night but this morning - an egg!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by