Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

Pics
My poor chicks... Would’ve gone in all on their own this evening, for the first time ever, but the auto door (set to light sensor mode) had already closed! I saw them crowding at the top of the ramp, and was wondering why they don’t just go in. Duh. I’ll need to set it to timer mode and give it a later time (or change the lux level for closing). That was a big step for them though! And when I opened the pop door from the inside and called them in, all but one came inside. The last one couldn’t figure out the ramp so I had to bring it in. 10/11 though, not bad. They all run out when it’s time to go outside though, no more timidness there! :lol:

Also, for the first time in their lives, they’re sleeping off the ground for the night! Though not on the roosts for some reason, but on top of the brooder... They nap on the roosts fine during the day, even on the tallest one, but still like their brooder at night. It’s 53 degrees right now so I guess they’re not cold. It will be hot tomorrow, so I’ll turn the heaters off.

First night off the ground:
19DF0AB0-ADDA-4726-849D-D4B531740F2A.jpeg

Using the tallest roost during the day:
DD0CE65D-236D-4B4F-8E00-5FDA44D777B5.jpeg

They are getting the hang of it , mine were afraid of the ramp at first . The roost took mine a while to use , I put them on it 2 or 3 nights in a row and then they finally went up on their own .

They are getting the hang of it , mine were afraid of the ramp at first . The roost took mine a while to use , I put them on it 2 or 3 nights in a row and then they finally went up on their own .
I might just take the brooder out, and only leave their huddle boxes/tables in there, without the heating pads. Without the brooder to perch on, they might go to the roosts instead.

First I'm so excited for you and your kids my first incubater was the same way finicky PIA of an incubater but just breath and keep an eye on it i put my hydrometer at egg level though but just relax it will work out

So happy for you, I'd used a similar setup and it seemed to work pretty well for me :) A night off the ground is a big step, they'll slowly get around to the ramp too :) All of mine were a bit scared of the ramp for the first few days, but they got there eventually (Y) All the best :)

Some more developments from today. I covered most of the run with dried grass clippings and leaves from last fall (I only left the areas that still have live grass, so the chicks can eat it while it's still there). The stuff had been sitting in a pile, so it had all kinds of worms and bugs in it, which the chicks loved.

6AC62E60-90E5-4EE2-BC60-4911CD5E39F4.jpeg
C5BD42DE-653B-4ECD-845B-7FE8D790D5D0.jpeg
91323D47-ECBD-4803-A0D5-5BBF292904EB.jpeg

It was hot today, but they have a nice shady area under the forsythia bush. They really love it under there - exploring:
0732F405-4781-44F5-861C-18DFFC4E3607.jpeg

Or resting and napping in the cool shade:
8F18633A-506C-42FC-8AEB-DC57B594D2B4.jpeg

Some of them even ended up taking a nap under there. They've been eating the leaves, too. I hope they don't destroy it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom