nszrmch

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all! We just got some lovely little additions to our chicken family today! Two amberlinks, one production blue, and one rhode island red. Got them at the local feed store. They look bigger than I remember our last chicks from a couple years ago were.. I could be wrong but wouldn’t mind some input!

Here are pics:

D2514BC2-9E66-4369-8E5E-FC56CE2EF7B7.jpeg RIR, most likely youngest as he still has the little thing on his beak to break out of egg

D2258BD7-117B-44DA-A028-E6AC536014F7.jpeg Two amberlinks, I think they’re the oldest

350899CA-CC83-48EE-BAC2-186A67435694.jpeg Production blue, excuse the 💩

I wouldn’t mind some advice as I am hoping one of my two broody hens will adopt them tonight, just want to make sure they’re not too old! Thanks!!

Hi all! We just got some lovely little additions to our chicken family today! Two amberlinks, one production blue, and one rhode island red. Got them at the local feed store. They look bigger than I remember our last chicks from a couple years ago were.. I could be wrong but wouldn’t mind some input!

Here are pics:

View attachment 2129480RIR, most likely youngest as he still has the little thing on his beak to break out of egg

View attachment 2129481Two amberlinks, I think they’re the oldest

View attachment 2129482Production blue, excuse the 💩

I wouldn’t mind some advice as I am hoping one of my two broody hens will adopt them tonight, just want to make sure they’re not too old! Thanks!!
They look to me like they are a few days old.If your hen is truly broody, I doubt she will reject them, just watch for a little bit after you stick them under her.

Those are new babies, about 3 days old.
be very careful putting them with the broody hen and don't do it unless you can be there to supervise for a while. Hens are notorious for attacking chicks that they didn't hatch.

So how did it go with the chicks and the broody? Nothing cuter than a mom with her little babies!
I don’t know why but she rejected and started attacking the chicks immediately so I took them back inside. But oh how I wanted to see her tuck them under her chest!!!!

We have a good setup with the brooder here but I’m looking into brooding outside with a MHP since it’s warming up here nowadays (80-90F day, 50-60F nights)

This way flock integration can start much sooner. We’ll see!

I don’t know why but she rejected and started attacking the chicks immediately so I took them back inside. But oh how I wanted to see her tuck them under her chest!!!!

We have a good setup with the brooder here but I’m looking into brooding outside with a MHP since it’s warming up here nowadays (80-90F day, 50-60F nights)

This way flock integration can start much sooner. We’ll see!
Oh, that’s too bad:(

Back
Top Bottom