Aggressive rooster and small children, really need some answers asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I can’t speak to this methods effectiveness but I’ve had many friends who have done this and had great results. You put the roosters head Into the ground and put pressure on his back. Hold him in that position for like 1 minute. It kinda mimics the behaviors of other roosters and shows dominance. While he might not like you after he won’t attack you, hopefully at least.

I had seen a video on this topic on YouTube yesterday. Please make sure you are wearing gloves before you handle your roo. I really suggest you search the video on YouTube. He held him gently down to the ground and placed his fingers on the back of his neck. Its hard to explain but he said thats exactly how roos show dominance and once you do that a few times with your roo they know who is the boss.
I think I saw that video too.

I'm late to the show here and tend to be an odd one out!:) My advice is to decide what you want in a rooster. If he's good to the hens, he still might be a keeper. Please read up on rooster behavior (understanding them). There are some excellent articles on this site! There are some tricks when you understand their behavior. Such as roosters are the ones who "feed" the ladies so when you or your daughters bring food, make sure it is given to the rooster first. Otherwise he'll see you as a competitor. Never hold upside down- they can suffocate this way. And don't kick with your feet- feet are for fighting in rooster language. You could hold a broom or shield to protect yourself and give a gentle brush away. Some find carrying them around will humble them enough. Ours are in a separate run from our hens so we have a different situation so maybe it was easier to curb aggressive tendencies. I have found that working with them- not backing down while still not reacting or being aggressive towards them has worked well (I crouch down on their level and come towards them slowly until they back away or pretend to do something different) when they act up. Now our boys are lovely- most of the time- and enjoy pets and attention. I think roosters are one of the most misunderstood creatures- and are often killed for just being roosters! But I understand safety and needing to protect family. Good luck.

Aggressive roosters are hard to change. I've never been able to change an aggressive one, so they are gotten rid of. We've tried over the years and used a bunch of different techniques, from smacking it with milk jugs as it tries to attack, to carrying it around upside down, trimming it's feathers, nothing really worked, long term, with all family members.
Get a new cockeral, if you need a breeding rooster.

I'm scared to enter the coop and so are my girls.

I am not trying to be mean or rude here but you said it yourself.. "man up" stop being scared of if. If need be, be aggressive back. All he is doing is protecting his ladies. Show him whos boss by NOT being scared. He's not a Velociraptor that's 10 foot tall. He's just a rooster. My dear departed rooster Michael was very aggressive to people and anything that threatened his ladies. I seen him chase off cats, hawks and an eagle. But when I go to feed them he would back off. Sometime he would get fiesty and buck up and peck at me and I'd laugh, pick him up and gave him a big hug. Yeah I would talk to him and tell him how proud I was of him and how he took care of the flock. When I would stand there admiring and enjoying the flock he would even stand next to me as if doing the same. Yet even at 10+lbs he was just a chicken. You are human. He goes after you , you go right back at him. When you go out to feed the flock, go to him first, take hold of him and hold him for a bit.

I cradled mine like a baby. However, this is my boy I have handled from birth. You may have to hang him by the feet..
I had a jumbo pekin duck that i raised from a baby. One day he decided to attack anyone who got close to his gal. I was advised to wrap him in a towel and carry him facing somewhat downward. Every so often i would tilt him back up, if he attacked, down he went again. It took a few times, but it worked! When he behaved i loved on him. When he acted up i grabbed the towel! He saw that towel and took off! I dont they can hurt a person like a roo can though.

We just purchased a rooster a few weeks ago, we only have a flock of 5 hens. When we first brought him home and for the first week or so he was wonderful. He seemed very sweet and gentle. Starting about a week ago he started attacking my smallest girl, he tried to attack my oldest girl who's job it is to feed them in the morning. She tells me he only did it once and I wasnt aware he was going after her. I thought it was only the smallest, who is 3 and I've had a rooster who did this before. We quickly got rid of that one. But I thought it may just be her small size, so I havnt left her alone with this one because of it . Well, now this rooster is also attacking me anytime I go into the coop. He grabbed my sleeve this morning and left a red mark on my wrist. I'm scared to enter the coop and so are my girls.
Obviously, we cant have this. My question is, is there anything that can be done to change this? Or do we simply need to get rid of him? He's a beautiful rooster and seemed great in the beginning, but no matter how beautiful or sweet I will not have a rooster that attacks. My girls, or myself. The first one he did it to was the smallest like I said, and I had to get aggressive with him and shove him away so I'm guessing he's attacking me now because I'm a threat?
I've had a number of aggressive roos. I have yet to rehabilitate one except for a silkie. I have him now and we will see. If you have a large breed rooster I'd get rid of him. There are plenty of passive roos out there and I'd get a small breed that your kids and you can manage. When my silkie was his meanest he just flopped my feet, not a big deal and no pain!

We first got chickens around the time my first was born. 4 years on, we do not allow any rooster with human aggression to live (they either go to freezer camp or we turn them into bacon aka feed them to our pigs). Here is an article I wrote about flock rooster selection. I’m becoming a bit more flexible about how they treat other roosters because my heritage meat birds (Dark Cornish) are very aggressive with other roosters unless they are with them ALL THE TIME and that isn’t possible because I keep them for breeding and that means isolation from other roosters. The other info is still how I do things. This can help you in your selection of your next rooster.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/selecting-good-flock-roosters.74719/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom