Aggressive Rooster! Any Way to Keep him from hurting Children?

Did you put a note on your Craigslist that he is aggressive?
It will probly be harder to find him a home, but you wouldn't want him to go to another family with small children. I would feel better putting him in a pot or going to someone else's) than finding out the rooster attacked a child because I didn't tell the people who bought it, JMO.

My cousin had an EVIL rooster (RIR, BTW), and he would cross the yard to come after you. He has a 10 yr old daughter, she was TERRIFIED to go outside, IDK why he wouldn't get rid of it, it attacked alot of people(I think he liked having a mean roo
hmm.png
). Thank God that something finally killed it

I have an aggressive welsummer rooster.....he only goes after me....after months and months of working with him I am finally able to go into the pen with out getting flogged ... he is a little protective of the coop area and I still have to be careful. He is only doing what comes naturally to him, I have to agree with many of the other posters.. you need to get rid of yours. I am an adult and can predict his behaviors.. he is kept mostly in a cover pen area... so my rooster is not much harm to anyone but me.. but yours is out in the yard and goes after everyone including your children.

Ive been going through the same thing. I posted mine on craiglist as a aggressive rooster, luckily I found someone who actually wants him to breed with her hens. Now Im just waiting for her to pick him up, Im giving her til the end of the week and if hes not gone, stew pot...I have a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old and they cant even go outside unless our roo is penned up. Im not willing to take any chances with my kids, and my rooster isnt even a year yet....I say try to find him a home and if you cant stew pot!

Just call me Ruby Thewes because I despise a floggin' rooster.
smile.png
I've killed several for friends (one for a friend's mom while said friend was out of town. "Gee I don't know what happened to your rooster? Hawk must have gotten him!) There's no point in having an aggressive animal. Don't take the abuse and don't allow others to suffer as well, it's not fair.

We had a rooster get particularly aggressive this spring... I've got an eight year old daughter and a farm yard that's bustling with people and activity; having a rooster who thought it was his job to injure humans was not acceptable. Basically I realized that the end was in sight for him, but it was up to me how it came about- I knew that if he attacked my daughter again there was a good chance that I, my husband, or one of the dogs would take it upon themselves to end his life out of anger and that is not healthy. I knew if I passed him along to someone else, there was a good chance that he'd be punished and judged for his "bad" behavior also and who knows what his end days would be like. So, with a heavy heart and with all the memories of what a good li'l pal he had been before spring took over his brain, I respectfully and calmly ended his life. It sucked and I'm still sad, but not as sad as I would be if my daughter was blind or I had stomped him to death in anger (talk about cruelty).

Generally, I am the FIRST to tell people how to tame and manage their rooster. I have 4 free ranging. There are methods and I could go on. The problem with all of them is that they will take time and are not foolproof protection for children. If you segregate this rooster he will get out some day some how. The way I see it you have to ultimate scenarios to picture:

1) You tame your rooster and keep him and eventually shan-gri-la exists on your little farm.
2) You have a child without an eye, permanent scar, or a law suit from some one who accidentaly moved the wrong way in this rooster's presence.

That is what you have taken to the ultimate extremes.

My opinion: Get rid of him sooner rather than later.

I am sure most of the replies will be like mine: I just cull them. You don't want the rooster on your farm. He needs to be made into soup. i love my chickens, but I want my children to love them too, and if a rogue rooster is on the loose, the kids will be afraid of chickens, maybe their whole life. Also, and more important, he can blind a child in just a few minutes. At the age you have, they are right at the level a rooster flogs, about knee high or so. So, this is an easy answer. No hard feelings for that mean old rooster, he is not worth a moments consideration if he is a man attacker. Fighting chickens do not attack man, as they have been bred selectively to NOT do that. Good luck, I killed three young rooster in one day that flogged (all the same breed/breeding) because my 3 y/o was terrified of them, they were relentless chasing her.

Henz

Back
Top Bottom