Agressive mean quails/neck disease?

chickenlittle77

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
idunno.gif

FIRST =
hello everyone, i had a total of 31 quails, 12 coutornix and the rest Jumbo. i had to process 8 males because they were getting mature and started to fight. after that i had to sacrifice 2 other males because i came in one day and it had no scalp on. the poor little thing was winking and u could see the muscles moving up and down. now, i have 3 cages 22x18x40. on top i have 2 males and 7 females, second one i have 1 male 4 females and the bottom i have 2 males and 6 females. they seem to be fine. at least i think. i find sometimes their feet a little hurt because of the wire floor, but they are so agressive. IS IT EXPECTED with coutornix? are they stressed? they have plenty water and food constantly. they are laying the eggs fine. i got about 10/12 eggs a day. IS THERE ANY MEASURE TO KEEP THEM AGRESSIVE?

SECOND = check it out this picture here. i came in and noticed all of the 6 quails including the male (my most beautiful one - Pinooshee) had no feather on their neck but one female which i put her in a different cage and i noticed how bully she is. IS IT POSSIBLE SHE PECKED AT EVERYONE ELSE? OR IS IT SOME TIME OF MITE? ANY IDEAS?
THANKX FOR ANY COMMENTS GUYS

30163_chickencoop_013.jpg

Thank you for the interesting post. It will be great to hear some of the responses. I am worried about aggression being new to the coturnix. I would think that the mean one plucked those feathers out off of the heads, but I'm not familiar with the Coturnix yet. Sounds like you have a dinner date though.
droolin.gif

i did process quite few already, and to be honest i couldnt eat them lol they still in the freezer, i gave 3 way left with 5 frozen. as far as aggression i've always known they can be (coutornix) but one interesting thing is that 5 out of 6 were with the neck's feather plocked. so what could it be? that bully female? i put her in the bottom cage and ill watch for some sign of aggression. well, there is one female with a head injury today.
barnie.gif

THANK YOU Monarc, i know that jumbos are coutornix too lol what i meant was as u wrote 12 pharaos and the rest jumbo coutornix. thankx for the input, i didnt think the male/female ration was 1/5 most ppl say 1/3 1/4
ill try that. hopefully no more scalps off !
thank you
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom