I just found blood in his droppings this morning. 😔

Attachments

• E8F9241C-D2B3-44F5-8531-28324E17E776.jpeg
    E8F9241C-D2B3-44F5-8531-28324E17E776.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7A7F23DF-AA35-4C10-B070-B259A1B05926.jpeg
    7A7F23DF-AA35-4C10-B070-B259A1B05926.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 5
So far I haven’t seen any more blood in Roxbury’s droppings, maybe it was intestinal shedding?

Looking at all his symptoms I’m now around 70% sure this is kinky back (Enterococcal spondylitis) “though I constantly second guess myself and overthink everything so who knows if that will stick, I could just as easily be on to something else tomorrow.”
I can’t find many confirmed stories of kinky back in the forums or anything but a vague reference anywhere else online so it’s not much to go on. I don’t know if this is something permanent/untreatable or treatable.
I still can’t afford to take him to the vet, so I don’t have any sure way to say this is what he has, I’m just putting this here to keep this thread updated on Roxby’s journey through whatever this is.

Just updating here that I’ve continued to post about Roxby’s ongoing condition here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/kinky-back-treatable-what’s-your-expierience.1462064/
He’s regained his ability to walk again but now like before exactly 11 days after he regaining his ability to walk so far looks like he might be regressing again.

Last edited:
Is the gander still alive? How's he doing now and did u figure out wht happened to him?
Roxby is still alive, he didn’t regress into lameness again, I gave him more antibiotics and doubled the amount of vitamins from 3cc of rooster booster poultry cell every few days to 6 cc every other day.
Whatever it was worked and he began getting better again. He hasn’t lost his ability to walk since, though now I’m dealing with a seperate health issue targeting my whole flock including him.

I never really knew what was wrong with him, why he kept losing the ability to walk, I have theories but that’s alll they really are.

My guess is some sort of bacterial infection of the spine, thAt maybe led to an abscess that burst and it was a really tough infection to fight, or something to do with mycoplasma because his hocks were slightly inflamed at the beginning of his illness and maybe it was complicated by a secondary infection, I think mycoplasma is going through my flock right now so it wouldn’t surprise me.
But like I said, truthfully I don’t know what it was.

Roxby is still alive, he didn’t regress into lameness again, I gave him more antibiotics and doubled the amount of vitamins from 3cc of rooster booster poultry cell every few days to 6 cc every other day.
Whatever it was worked and he began getting better again. He hasn’t lost his ability to walk since, though now I’m dealing with a seperate health issue targeting my whole flock including him.

I never really knew what was wrong with him, why he kept losing the ability to walk, I have theories but that’s alll they really are.

My guess is some sort of bacterial infection of the spine, thAt maybe led to an abscess that burst and it was a really tough infection to fight, or something to do with mycoplasma because his hocks were slightly inflamed at the beginning of his illness and maybe it was complicated by a secondary infection, I think mycoplasma is going through my flock right now so it wouldn’t surprise me.
But like I said, truthfully I don’t know what it was.
So glad he made it through the disease. Roxby is truly a fighter and so kind of u to keep working on him most people would just cull him. I will be getting geese soon so was going through this forum, researching and came upon ur thread. Hoping and praying for ur flocks speedy recovery from whtever is targeting them now. 💐

Back
Top Bottom