Albumen Quality Question

And if you have arthritis like I do, you aren't a scaredy cat snowflake, and have half a brain for following directions, you can take those poke berries and make one helluva good working arthritis tonic/wine that works miracles. But never take more than 1 spoon full per day, it can make you feel flushed because it's loaded with B12. And not only will it kick old Arthur in the Keister, it'll also put lead in your pencil!
:eek:

A egg white that stands high and firm is good! A fresh egg white is cloudy.
Eggs whites are 90% water.
Is their water clean?
Is the waterer dish clean?
Did you recently clean the dish and maybe not rinse it well?
I’d check that. Best wishes

Yes, I clean and rinse all waterers. I actually have two places where she can get fresh water - in the chicken coop and out by my house when she is free-ranging. Thanks for the reply!

And if you have arthritis like I do, you aren't a scaredy cat snowflake, and have half a brain for following directions, you can take those poke berries and make one helluva good working arthritis tonic/wine that works miracles. But never take more than 1 spoon full per day, it can make you feel flushed because it's loaded with B12. And not only will it kick old Arthur in the Keister, it'll also put lead in your pencil!
Wow, I thought poke berries were poisonous!

Something else to consider. If you let your little darlings free range and forage, the eggs can change somewhat as the seasons change. There shouldn't be great changes, but during winter the yolks aren't as dark because they aren't getting fresh greens and others good things. And later summer when the poke berries are ripe, I've had damn near red yolks that are extra super delicious!

Google "red yolks" to have your mind blown. They are supposed to be more nutritious the darker they naturally are.

Woo hoo! :wee

Well, as you know living in Alabama, we're still cutting grass and enjoying "summer!" I believe that's going to change this weekend, though. I've seen poke plants on my property but I don't believe there are any in the area that Millie likes to forage in. I'll have to check that out and find a way to plant some nearby!

Awesome! I would love something like that. But for me...I use unleaded. :thumbsup

Wow, I thought poke berries were poisonous!
The only part of Poke Salot that is poisonous is the roots, and the roots are deadly! That being said, the berries contain so much B12 that it you eat more than 1, it can make you feel flushed, light headed, nauseous, and if you eat 4 or 5 they can make you projectile vomit! :sick That's why is important to run the berries thru some yeast first, in other words, make a wine from them. Even then they are still pretty strong so you only want to take 1 or 2 spoonfull per day right after eating.
The leaves are delicious! But only if cooked right. They too contain B12, but not nearly as much as the berries.
They taste like a mix of fresh spinach and asparagus. You want to pick a bunch of the leaves (they seem better to me when young and tender in spring), wash and devein them (cut out center vein/stem). Cut them into 1 inch strips.
That was prep. This is how to cook them.

1st boil.
Cover them with fresh clean water in a large cooking put with a lid.
Bring to a boil on high. Once boiling, set timer for 10 minutes.
When 10 minutes are up, be careful and drain the greens, refill pot with just a couple inches of water over the greens.

2nd boil
set timer and boil greens at a high rapid boil just like the 1st time for 10 mins. Once timer goes off, drain them again. (If you're a worry wart you can boil them for 15-20 mins on the first 2 boils, it doesn't affect the flavor. )

3rd Boil
This is the final boil before eating and different from the first 2. The first 2 boils hot rid of the excess B12 so you don't get flushed after eating them.
Cover the greens for the last time with about 1 inch of water or preferably chicken stock. If you started off with enough poke greens to fill a 5 quart pot, cut 1 medium size onion into 4 pieces and throw it in the pot. You can also put in a stick or 2 of celery if you like celery. Some people will just toss in their favorite veggie bouillon. I myself like to add a cup of ham chunks or a couple pieces of bacon. Ham bouillon is good too in a pinch.
Bring to a boil then set stove to low heat and cover. Let simmer for about 30 mins.
Once done, enjoy them straight from the pot with some homemade cornbread and peas.
If you have some leftover poke the next morning, you can make poke and eggs.
Warm up the poke just enough you can squeeze the excess water from the greens without scalding your hands, then set them aside. Scramble up some eggs and start cooking them in your cast iron skillet (that nothing sticks to). You can use any kind of other cookware e but nothing cooks as good as well seasoned cast iron.
Next add a couple healing heaping spoons of the strained poke to your eggs and finish cooking like you would normally. You can throw in some American cheese or shredded cheese you like.
Everyone I have ever made it for said it taste like spinach quiche but only better.
I cooked up a mess of poke weed week before last, cleaned up all the few leaves that were left this year. The spring leaves are a lot better but even these older leaves are pretty good.
If your in North Bama or higher, you may have some good leaves still worth eating. Always follow the 3 boil cooking method, only use berries for arthritis tonic one spoonful at a time.
AND NEVER EAT OR USE THE ROOTS.
THE ROOTS ARE WHAT'S POISONOUS!
:thumbsup:yesss::woot
Yall enjoy !

Last edited:
The only part of Poke Salt that is poisonous is the roots, and they are deadly! That being said, the berries contain so much B12 that it you eat more than 1, it can make you feel flushed, light headed, nauseous, and if you eat 4 or 5 they can make you projectile vomit! :sick That's why is important to run the berries thru some yeast first, in other words, make a wine from them. Even then they are still pretty strong so you only want to take 1 or 2 spoonfull per day right after eating breakfast.
The leaves are delicious! But only if cooked right. They too contain 12, but not nearly as much as the berries. They taste like a mix of fresh spinach and asparagus. You want to pick a bunch of they leaves (they seem better to me when young and tender in spring), wash and devein them (cut out center vein/stem). Cut them into 1 inch strips.
That was prep. This is how to cook them.

1st boil.
Cover them with fresh clean water in a large cooking put with a lid.
Bring to a boil on high. Once boiling, set timer for 10 minutes.
When 10 minutes are up, be careful and drain the greens, refill pot with just a couple inches of water over the greens.

2nd boil
set timer and boil greens at a high rapid boil just like the 1st time for 10 mins. Once timer goes off, drain them again.

3rd Boil
This is the final boil before eating and different from the first 2. The first 2 boils hot rod of the excess B12 so you don't get flushed after eating them.
Cover the greens for the last time with about 1 inch of water or preferably chicken stock. If you started off with enough poke greens to fill a 5 quart pot, cut 1 medium size onion into 4 pieces and throw it in the pot. You can also put in a stick or 2 of celery if you like celery. Some people will just toss in their favorite veggie bouillon. I myself like to add a cup of ham chunks or a couple pieces of bacon. Ham bouillon is good too in a pinch.
Bring to a boil then set stove to low heat and cover. Let simmer for about 30 mins.
Once done, enjoy them straight from the pot with some homemade cornbread.
If you have some leftover poke the next morning, you can make poke and eggs.
Warm up the poke just enough you can squeeze the excess water from the greens then set then aside. Scramble up some eggs and start cooking them in your cast iron skillet that nothing sticks to. Next add a couple healing heaping spoons of the strained poke to your eggs and finish cooking like you would normally. You can throw in some American cheese or shredded cheese you like.
Everyone I have ever made it for said it taste like spinach quiche but only better.
I cooked up a mess of poke weed week before last, cleaned up all the few leaves that were left this far south this year. The spring leaves are a lot better but even these older leaves are pretty good.
If your in North Bama or higher, you may have some good leaves still worth eating. Always follow the 3 boil cooking method, only use berries for arthritis tonic one spoonful at a time.
AND NEVER EAT OR USE THE ROOTS.
THE ROOTS ARE WHAT'S POISONOUS!
:thumbsup:yesss::woot
AWSOME! Thank you!!
I love cooked greens. Never heard of poke greens but I love to garden. I wonder if they’ll grow in zone 7. Gonna do some research to see.
The fact that they are so high in B12’s really has me excited. The healing properties sounds so wonderful. I have 2 rods 8 screws and 4 artificial discs in my back. Sounds bad but really Ima still kickin wass’. But cold weather or high barometric pressures ...well just make me feel my age.
Really I’m going to seriously see if I can grow them. Thanks again! :frow:wee

Back
Top Bottom