All eggs but 1 died on day 23. PLEASE HELP!!!

redrosado

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2016
CONNECTICUT
Im new to this. I had 12 eggs. Day 18 after being in a great incubator with ideal temps & humidity, 10 were candled, moving, & ready for lockdown. All moved to hatching incubator that had been run at 99.8 degrees for a week prior. All water reservoirs filled with dostilled water & 3 wet sponges only brought humidity to 50. Day 22 first external pip, peeping & start zipping. 12 hours later, chicky died. Autopsy showed all dried out paper white membranes. Egg #2 had started zipping. After 8 hours of no further advancing, and peeps becoming very weak, I intervened. Shes the only chick that survived. Autopsies showed all eggs with paper white dry membranes with no internal or external pips. We are all so sad. We have another batch ready for lockdown on April 6. What more can I do? I've read everything I can find, but I'm totally in the dark here. PLEASE HELP!! Also, lone survivor is sticky from assisted birth & hasn't fluffed out. Shes just one day old & now wobbling around her big incubator by herself. I dont want to chill her & wash, but I dont want her to have bacteria either! We can't loose our only baby!! What do I do? What about food+sugar water? Her yolk was completely absorbed at hatch??? Thank you for ANY help!!!! #weloveourmiraclebaby

Im new to this. I had 12 eggs. Day 18 after being in a great incubator with ideal temps & humidity, 10 were candled, moving, & ready for lockdown. All moved to hatching incubator that had been run at 99.8 degrees for a week prior. All water reservoirs filled with dostilled water & 3 wet sponges only brought humidity to 50. Day 22 first external pip, peeping & start zipping. 12 hours later, chicky died. Autopsy showed all dried out paper white membranes. Egg #2 had started zipping. After 8 hours of no further advancing, and peeps becoming very weak, I intervened. Shes the only chick that survived. Autopsies showed all eggs with paper white dry membranes with no internal or external pips. We are all so sad. We have another batch ready for lockdown on April 6. What more can I do? I've read everything I can find, but I'm totally in the dark here. PLEASE HELP!! Also, lone survivor is sticky from assisted birth & hasn't fluffed out. Shes just one day old & now wobbling around her big incubator by herself. I dont want to chill her & wash, but I dont want her to have bacteria either! We can't loose our only baby!! What do I do? What about food+sugar water? Her yolk was completely absorbed at hatch??? Thank you for ANY help!!!! #weloveourmiraclebaby
First you can wash the little one in warm water keeping her face, especially nose from getting water in it. You can blow dry it or put it under the brooder light to dry just make sure there are no drafts around the brooder. You can do sugar water or electrolyte enhanced water.
Now onto the next thing. The outter membrane of the egg should be papery white. That is a healthy membrane. I would check the hygrometer you are using for accuracy. Unless you are in an extremely arid climate, water wells full and sponges should raise it more than 50%.
If you want help trouble shooting, we need too know what kind of incubator you are using, is it forced or still air, have y ou ever checked your thermometer. What was your humidity reading the first 17 days. Are these local eggs or shipped? These questions will help us to pinpoint possibilities of what we think might be wrong based on our experiences and knowledge.

First you can wash the little one in warm water keeping her face, especially nose from getting water in it. You can blow dry it or put it under the brooder light to dry just make sure there are no drafts around the brooder. You can do sugar water or electrolyte enhanced water. 
Now onto the next thing. The outter membrane of the egg should be papery white. That is a healthy membrane. I would check the hygrometer you are using for accuracy. Unless you are in an extremely arid climate, water wells full and sponges should raise it more than 50%.
If you want help trouble shooting, we need too know what kind of incubator you are using, is it forced or still air, have y ou ever checked your thermometer. What was your humidity reading the first 17 days. Are these local eggs or shipped? These questions will help us to pinpoint possibilities of what we think might be wrong based on our experiences and knowledge.

For incubating days 1-18 I used a Little Giant Circulated Air Incubator 10200 ,with the Little Giant Egg turner 6300. On day 18-21'we moved them to lock down in Little Giant Still Air Incubator 9200. They were fully matured and filled eggs. Just dead :(( They were from a friends farm. Her hens were not brooding. Every time we candled, including right before lock down, they were super healthy & moving around. By last night, no more rockers. Did the water test. All dead babies. Tragic

For incubating days 1-18 I used a Little Giant Circulated Air Incubator 10200 ,with the Little Giant Egg turner 6300. On day 18-21'we moved them to lock down in Little Giant Still Air Incubator 9200. They were fully matured and filled eggs. Just dead
sad.png
( They were from a friends farm. Her hens were not brooding. Every time we candled, including right before lock down, they were super healthy & moving around. By last night, no more rockers. Did the water test. All dead babies. Tragic
Did you go by the temps on the bator's readings or did you hae your own thermometers and what was the humidity? Did you compare air cells at all?

Yes, I have 3 thermometers and air cells were measured each time we candled.and traced. Everything looked great until lock down. I just talked to my friend we got the eggs from. Same happened to her clutch. Maybe a genetic thing. She only had one of 10 hatch too, although it hatched normally, while my girl needed a helping hand. So heartbroken.

Yes, I have 3 thermometers and air cells were measured each time we candled.and traced. Everything looked great until lock down. I just talked to my friend we got the eggs from. Same happened to her clutch. Maybe a genetic thing. She only had one of 10 hatch too, although it hatched normally, while my girl needed a helping hand. So heartbroken.
You definitely seem like you are on track. It could be a matter of egg quality/layer quality. What breeds are you hatching?

Back
Top Bottom