"All I ever wanted..." story

"Its alright... you're safe." I heard a man say to me and as I opened my stinging eyes, I saw the blue sky and the sun. I looked around and saw firefighters running everywhere... and I saw my mom on a stretcher. "Mom! Mom...." I said anxiously and tried to sit up, but the man gently pushed me back. "No, no. Its alright. She's going to be fine, son." He said. "My dog. Where's my dog?" I whispered. "Dog? What dog?" He asked, confused. I sat up again and he tried to push me back down, but I shouted, "Let me up! I'm fine!" So he let me walk to my mom. "Ben.... I love you..." She said when she saw me. I hugged her, then searched the landscape for the collie, but nothing was to be seen except humans running all over the place. (I don't quite understand why... the fire was out, yet they still run around in a panic like scared little chickens.) The shed! I ran to my backyard and sprinted to the shed door, still ajar from when he must of pushed it open. There, on the burlap bag, sat my dog. He had ashes all over his dirty fur, and he looked quite tired. He licked his back paw, and I could clearly see a wound on it, probably got burned in the fire. I reached to pet him, but he jumped back and bared his teeth in defence. I sighed and whispered, "Please let me touch you. If I don't, I can't help you. Please." He remained tense, ready to run. I had no food, nor water for him; so I just sat and talked to him. "I can't believe... you saved me. And my mom. You're a strong dog. Maybe a herding dog.... maybe you were once a firedog. Maybe... maybe you're just a normal dog. Maybe you knew I needed help... maybe you knew I liked you and was trying hard to keep you. And love you. And take care of you. Whatever you are... you're a good boy. You know, you still haven't got a name. Everyone needs a name. You need a good name... loyal and brave, a trusting name. Hercules? Naw, too weird. Lucky? No no, to common. Rover? Ok, thats bad. That makes me think of the game, red rover red rover. Well.... maybe you don't need a name quite yet. You know me and I know you... so names don't matter quite yet." I chuckled and said, "Listen to me, going on and on to a dog. I haven't talked this much to my parents in months! Then again... they never ask. They're always busy with work." I swallowed hard at the last few sentences. My parents... well, they always seemed to busy for me. I looked at the dog. He looked at me and seemed to listen.... dogs are good like that. They don't walk away, they don't have places to go, or people to call.... they just listen and seem to... care.

Quote:
Thanks Joe!
big_smile.png

I really am enjoying this story!
thumbsup.gif
It is much more realistic than your other one, although I am enjoying that one too! I just prefer more "believable" writing, rather than so much action!
hide.gif

Quote:
Thats great! Yeah, i'm sorta losing my touch with my other one... I might end it soon and concentrate on this one. More people seem to like it. Though, you never know, in a few years you may see my books in bookstores and online!
smile.png

I sat in that shed for over a hour, just thinking and talking to the dog, as if he were human. After a few hours, all the firemen left and our ranch was quietly peaceful again, as it should be. I peered out the window and saw my mom standing in front of our house, weeping. She musn't of been hurt in the fire, otherwise they would of brought her to the hospital. Even from the backyard I noticed her puffy, red eyes and the black ashes that covered her torn clothes. I went out the door quietly and walked up to her and whispered, "Mom... it'll be okay...." She hugged me tightly and cried into my shoulder. I guess because Dad was still at work she needed me to cry to... since Dad apparently didn't even know about the fire. Just as I thought of Dad he emerged from the end of the road, running at full sprint, briefcase in hand and tie flying in the wind. It was quite a sight to see! After all was done, here comes Dad, the buisness man. "I thought Dad's were supposed to be the hero's, the one who saves the wife and kids..." I thought to myself as he ran up to us, gasping for breath. "I heard... that there was a fire... I left as quickly as I could.... i'm so sorry, honey..." He said to my mom. They hugged for a moment, then Dad turned to me and said, "I hear your dog saved you? Since when did this dog come in the scene? Mandy, how come you didn't tell me about this?!" My mom, Mandy, stubbornly said, "Because you're never home to spend time with us! You need to become more of a family man and take some time off work, Rob!" He closed his mouth with a snap and just stood there, examining the pile of rubble that was our house. "So, where's this dog, Benny boy?" Dad asked, trying to switch the mood. I smiled and said, "In the shed. I didn't put him there, he just appeared!" My dad hadn't called me "Benny boy" since I was in preschool! I led my parents to the shed and opened the door, saying, "He hasn't got a name yet... though I couldn't find one suitable..." I gasped. The shed was empty.

Back
Top Bottom