All my chickens died overnight for no apparent reason

Perhaps it's your neighbor who poisoned your chickens, you know, the old lady 2 houses down that owns 20 cats....... she's probably still angry at you for borrowing her Titanic (2) Disk Blu-Ray DVD - Director's Cut Edition w/ never before seen footage and mysteriously lost it somehow and blamed it on your half sister who came to visit you during Memorial Weekend.

You have 2 choices. Get your revenge by getting even and poisoning her cats, OR, return her Titanic DVD back to it's rightful owner and make peace with her. Yeah, I know you still have it somewhere in your house locked up safely behind that Bob Ross - Landscape #25 replica print hanging in the hallway next to the bathroom door! Your choice.

Please tell us what position the bodies were in when you found them? Did it look like they fell off roost, piled in a corner, individually random places? Sorry for asking, details matter.

Any chance it's those nasty buffalo gnats that have wiped so many flocks out this year?

Thanks for your suggestions. I've had chickens in this coop for 5 years and it's pretty well ventilated. The chicks are about 8-9 weeks old (not sure - they showed up one day a few months back!).

Why not answer some of the questions to see what we can come up with when we have a few more clues? There IS something you are missing. :confused:

Did you save any of the bodies to necropsy and get real answers? Links to help, if so..
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

If they showed up a few months back that would make them not less than 12 weeks old. Were they with one of your broody hens or perfect strangers on the sidewalk? Did they still need heat? What does they showed up mean?

So all the new birds are the only ones that randomly died at the same time one night despite no symptoms earlier in the day? Or did this also include some of your original birds?

It was asked to see a photo of your coop/set up. Something like a weasel can get in as small as a 1 inch opening... and wipe out a whole flock missing just the broody in the box SOMEHOW, even though it hasn't been an issue before now. Some predators, like domestic dogs simply shake their prey to kill it, not leaving any blood or clues behind... just for example. But answering some of the questions might help to determine what kind of distress they were facing.

How is your broody hen and chicks doing now? How old are her chicks?

How are you doing?! :hugs

Just baffled here. Unlocked the henhouse this morning and every one of my 11 layers (except one who had hatched some chicks, and her 5 chicks) was dead in the coop, apparently unharmed. No feathers missing, no blood, no wounds, nothing. The only thing I can think of is they were poisoned somehow. Spoiled feed? I've seen chickens eat a lot of crap...literally, so I'm not sure what would otherwise have killed them. Any suggestions?
How are Mama and the babies doing, now? Hopefully, whatever happened is gone and they're fine!

Back
Top Bottom