All my chickens died overnight for no apparent reason

cheeseheadken

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
West Tennessee
Just baffled here. Unlocked the henhouse this morning and every one of my 11 layers (except one who had hatched some chicks, and her 5 chicks) was dead in the coop, apparently unharmed. No feathers missing, no blood, no wounds, nothing. The only thing I can think of is they were poisoned somehow. Spoiled feed? I've seen chickens eat a lot of crap...literally, so I'm not sure what would otherwise have killed them. Any suggestions?

Sounds almost like a gassing, like their coop was suddenly filled with CO2. Not saying thats the cause but if you have poor ventilated coop and a dirt floor I would consider that. Sometime CO2 comes up out of the ground but that usually happens before or after an Earth Quake. More likely it was something poisonous they ate or drank. For all of them to die at once it means they did something all at once.

That had to be rough. No marks and dead overnight, that sudden, it just about has to be a poison. Not sure how that broody and her chicks are housed and managed but that may be a clue.

My first guess is moldy feed. Most molds are pretty benign, but some can produce some pretty poisonous byproducts. Did you open a new bag of feed yesterday, did feed get wet, something along those lines. Did you use an insecticide, herbicide, or maybe put out a rat poison or some type of predator repellent yesterday? Did you make any any changes? What is different.

It could have to do with the water. Did you use a contaminated container to carry water? Use a cleaner for the water bowl?

I really hate to bring this up but do you have neighbors that hate chickens?

I think I'd quickly call your county extension office and talk to them about a potential chicken autopsy. They would probably want you to put a body on ice to stop it deteriorating. Tell them you suspect poisoning. They should be able to help you get it to a place that does that, often the costs are nominal but ask.

Just baffled here. Unlocked the henhouse this morning and every one of my 11 layers (except one who had hatched some chicks, and her 5 chicks) was dead in the coop, apparently unharmed. No feathers missing, no blood, no wounds, nothing. The only thing I can think of is they were poisoned somehow. Spoiled feed? I've seen chickens eat a lot of crap...literally, so I'm not sure what would otherwise have killed them. Any suggestions?

So one hen and her chicks survived? If the chicks are alive, I would rule out gas poison as they would've been the first to be affected.

I'm really sorry about your losses.

So one hen and her chicks survived? If the chicks are alive, I would rule out gas poison as they would've been the first to be affected.

I'm really sorry about your losses.
That was the factor that made me think it may be a poisonous gas. At a different height chickens did not die. Gas can accumulate at one level but not the other. There is some sort of Ancient story about this in Egypt I believe, may even be a biblical story. The eldest sons of every household died because it was custom for the eldest sons to sleep in a higher position. The poison that killed them was from sort of Geological phenomenon. I vaguely remember the story and the specifics.

I had that thought too, glad you brought it up because I did not know how to approach that one.

That had to be rough. No marks and dead overnight, that sudden, it just about has to be a poison. Not sure how that broody and her chicks are housed and managed but that may be a clue.

My first guess is moldy feed. Most molds are pretty benign, but some can produce some pretty poisonous byproducts. Did you open a new bag of feed yesterday, did feed get wet, something along those lines. Did you use an insecticide, herbicide, or maybe put out a rat poison or some type of predator repellent yesterday? Did you make any any changes? What is different.

It could have to do with the water. Did you use a contaminated container to carry water? Use a cleaner for the water bowl?

I think I'd quickly call your county extension office and talk to them about a potential chicken autopsy. They would probably want you to put a body on ice to stop it deteriorating. Tell them you suspect poisoning. They should be able to help you get it to a place that does that, often the costs are nominal but ask.
If you're having the carcass tested - don't freeze it! Double wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge or an iced cooler.

Back
Top Bottom