Allie & Bino, the albino orpington chicks

I finally managed to set some of CC's orp eggs a couple days ago. Might have some little albinos running around myself in a couple weeks.

And now that I'm finally caught up on all my promised trades, I can start to decide what to do. The bright side for me is I might finally be starting to get the color patterns I was hoping for when I started two years ago.

I'm interested if chippy's are showing any indications of barring in the white, seeing that there is cuckoo in there.

Nope, pure white. No indication of any barring as of right now.

Feathering in so nicely! I'm glad they seem so healthy. Hopefully they will take care of each other.

Do you have them in with other birds from the same hatch, or did you sperate?

I only have them. :) I sold the rest to a lady who was going to keep them as pets.

I seriously enjoy following the stories from the both of you that have these albino babies! As we speak, I'm on my phone reading this from the peace of our garden on a warm day. Sending love and best wishes for these little fluff butts from Alabama. I would be very interested if there ends up being more of them from a breeding program!

That sounds awesome! Can't wait to do that someday. :love:

This is amazing. You don't ever hear about albino chickens, which is odd since albinism is so common in other animals like rats, rabbits, etc.

I will say that albino humans and animals are extremely sensitive to light. What seems like a dim light to someone else will be a blinding light to them. Sometimes albino people actually have excellent vision in the dark. I wonder how it is with these chickens.

I am interested to see if once bred they will produce albino offspring.

Bino attempted his first crows today! I didn't hear him, but my family did. He's just under 6 weeks old.

He is under 6 WEEKS? My Cochin cockerel hasn't started crowing and he is 9 weeks

All in good time. I had a light sussex crow at 7 months once! Talk about a late bloomer! Granted, those were my first chickens and I hadn't joined here yet, so there were probably other obvious signs that I was missing.

But, people that I know that have raised chickens for years called him a hen at 5-6 months. The only guy that said roo only said it because of his leg thickness.

I think BEERCAN had a chick crow at 1 and a half weeks!!

I had one crow at 2! A little bantam cochin. You can search him on YouTube under "2 week old bantam cochin crowing" or something like that.

Oh my, early crowers
ep.gif

I have like 50(just under 1 week to almost a month old) chicks currently in my basement, my last flock was killed by a dog. But I have 5 pullets who are just starting to lay that I hatched from them. Anyways, they are mostly pullets and some meat birds. But I do have some straight run, hopefully nobody starts crowing for awhile...

I have a leghorn cross cockerel who started crowing at around seven weeks :) Those little crows are so silly to hear. He's about three months old now and is much better at crowing, lol.

Back
Top Bottom