Almost all my ducks disappeared after attack

PekinPal806

Chirping
Mar 27, 2020
When I went to let my call ducks out this morning I found that sometime last night something had unhooked the door latch and possibly killed some of my ducks, one was found in the yard without a head, so maybe after the initial attack an owl got that one. I have 24 but there are only 8 left. I was wondering if they must’ve flown off as the attack happened and will they come back. We live in a large field and the only water is quite a ways from our house so I’m not sure where they could’ve went.

A raccoon is most likely the culprit if the gate was unlatched. They can do just about anything we can with their hands. If this was at night I doubt they flew off but you never know hopefully they’ll be back.

When I went to let my call ducks out this morning I found that sometime last night something had unhooked the door latch and possibly killed some of my ducks, one was found in the yard without a head, so maybe after the initial attack an owl got that one. I have 24 but there are only 8 left. I was wondering if they must’ve flown off as the attack happened and will they come back. We live in a large field and the only water is quite a ways from our house so I’m not sure where they could’ve went.
Update: two of the drakes came back but the rest are still missing, I did find some sort of smaller canine tracks inside so I almost wonder if either a coyote or Fox could have gotten in somehow. Hope the rest are alright😞

Is your latch that easy to open? You def need a way to secure it. A coyote or fox would have to be real good to open latch unless they used their noses to push it up. Can you post a picture of your set up?

Is your latch that easy to open? You def need a way to secure it. A coyote or fox would have to be real good to open latch unless they used their noses to push it up. Can you post a picture of your set up?
I hope your ducks all return.
Perhaps a raccoon opened it, and once released something went after the others?
We saw a raccoon open the latch on our chicken coop, we have carabiners through the latches now.

I hope your ducks all return.
Perhaps a raccoon opened it, and once released something went after the others?
We saw a raccoon open the latch on our chicken coop, we have carabiners through the latches now.
I had a couple hook and eye locks on the door but after reading all of your replies I changed them all out with those spring loaded hook latches. And beefed up the wire fencing so hopefully that can save the remaining ducks while I work on possibly reaping the predator. Thanks everyone for the help, I hope I can get this under control. The picture here is the same as the latches I bought.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.png
    IMG_1083.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom