Almost bought the farm this last weekend. Dog bite infection.

Yes, it is the bacteria doing the damage, causing blisters. The skin can stretch so far. That is why it was bad enough for medical help and it was in time! Thank God!

Wow, you just never know.......
barnie.gif

Scary to think of the what ifs....

Again, so glad of the positive ending to this
smile.png

Thanks for the reply's. The dog is isolated for now, but will be put down as soon as I can get to the vet. I hate doing it since 99% of the time he is really a good boy. Just that someone screwed him up badly before I got him. Can't even fathom why some people do that to animals. He is terrified of everything. I think that doing the remodel got him all worked up and that is why he bit. Doesn't change the fact that he can't be trusted and that IT Will happen again to me, the wife, or someone else if he isn't put down. Just sucks. This is the first one I couldn't rehab.

The finger is looking better every day, but it was really touch and go the first day on whether I would be able to keep it or not before the antibiotics kicked in good. The bathroom is still not done yet. Since I can't do much to help all I can do is supervise(the wife calls it hovering...
lol.png
). Make me nuts. It's just going really slow, but it will look great when it's done. I've decided to stay out of there unless she/they need some advice. Think I'll spend more time out at the coop just watching and relaxing. That is hard for me to do.

The reason he wasn't put down while I was in the hospital was that when the time comes I want to be with him. I'm the only one he trusts and and I want his last moments to be without fear as much as possible. He is not a mean dog, just afraid of everything.

I'm glad you're ok! And I'm sorry you have to put him down
sad.png
I had a pitbull that I rescued and she was the same way, very fearful of people but a good girl most of the time. She started going after my other dogs AND my children and I couldn't have that. I had to have her put down and she is now under the apple tree, but it was for the best. I miss her to this day, it has been 4 years, but I love seeing my children healthy and happy!

I work at a dog groomers and one of the girls I work with got bit by a cocker spaniel. He was very old and only had like 2 teeth but he nicked her thumb. She cleaned it off and went back to work..looked more like a scratch. The next morning, the same thing happened. Her whole finger was swollen and she couldnt move her hand a lot. She had red lines going from the bite up the inside of her arm and heading towards her chest. When she went in to the doctor, they said the infection was traveling to her chest and it was a good thing that she caught it when she did.

gig.gif

At least you tried to give him the best home you can give him. Hard to rehab a fear biter. It would be a nice thing to do for him, to be with him when he goes to doggie heaven.

Had a neighbor who was kidding around with a buddy's dog, which was penned and when he stuck his hand out to aggravate the dog to be honest, he was bitten. Went home and doctored it, and ended up almost losing the arm. Had to stay in the hospital, and then had to go every day for IV treatments. Nothing to mess around with.

Glad you are ok.

Back
Top Bottom