Alright, so is this bumblefoot? no open wound.

Hello everyone, my Barred Rock hen has been limping on her left leg for a few days now, she will not let me pick her up to look at the bottom of her feet, she’s not though limping bad, should I just wait it out for a few more days or try to put her in my dog crate to look at her feet? She’s eating and drinking very good.. Thank you all Cynthia
I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Wait until she is roosting, then grab her off the roost for an examination. Photos of the legs, toes and bottoms of the feet would be good.

20191109_105244.jpg
20191109_105244.jpg
20191109_105045.jpg
one of my quail seems to have like a cyst or something on his foot pad, without a noticeable open wound, just a teeny bit of inflammation. It's a soft lump, so it probably isn't cancer, and antibiotics(neosporin) were adminishered topically. What should i do, i don't want to pop it because then it might be infected. Should i pop it? Pictures can be shown if requested. I have amoxicillin and neosporin(the triple antibiotic) with no painkiller and ethanol that can be used to treat infection. I don't have epsom salts.
I have just been treating my chicken for bumblefoot, she had been limping for a while so I took her to the vet, who prescribed matacam for pain relief and anti bacterial tablets twice a day for ten days, however she was still limping so I had to resort to sorting it myself. At the back of one toe it was black so I soaked her feet in warm salted water then scraped out the dirt then pressed hard on the lumps between her toes and out popped a hard lump with the aid of a tweezers, I thoroughly cleaned out the area with batadine liquid then applied batadine gel and bandaged it up' repeated this on her other foot, however she was still limping so yesterday I had another look at the foot and she had a small scab mark in the centre of the pad which was pointy and hard so I cut around the scab and squeezed and out came some puss and a small lump, I dont know if I have got it all out as as she kept pulling her leg away from me and there was lots of blood so I again used the betadine and bandaged it up. She was definately walking on it a little better so off to check up on her this morning to see how it is healing and hope there is no infection.

View attachment 1981698 View attachment 1981698 View attachment 1981699
I have just been treating my chicken for bumblefoot, she had been limping for a while so I took her to the vet, who prescribed matacam for pain relief and anti bacterial tablets twice a day for ten days, however she was still limping so I had to resort to sorting it myself. At the back of one toe it was black so I soaked her feet in warm salted water then scraped out the dirt then pressed hard on the lumps between her toes and out popped a hard lump with the aid of a tweezers, I thoroughly cleaned out the area with batadine liquid then applied batadine gel and bandaged it up' repeated this on her other foot, however she was still limping so yesterday I had another look at the foot and she had a small scab mark in the centre of the pad which was pointy and hard so I cut around the scab and squeezed and out came some puss and a small lump, I dont know if I have got it all out as as she kept pulling her leg away from me and there was lots of blood so I again used the betadine and bandaged it up. She was definately walking on it a little better so off to check up on her this morning to see how it is healing and hope there is no infection.
Were you able to get that pocket cleaned out really well too? Sometimes hardened debris can get into the nooks/crannies of the feet and become painful.
Glad you were able to get the pus out of the foot as well.
I would soak it every couple of days in a warm epsom salts bath to help with healing. Apply triple antibiotic ointment and re-wrap. Hope she heals quickly.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...acted-pockets-in-chickens-toe-webbing.950954/
upload_2019-12-15_6-2-9.png

Were you able to get that pocket cleaned out really well too? Sometimes hardened debris can get into the nooks/crannies of the feet and become painful.
Glad you were able to get the pus out of the foot as well.
I would soak it every couple of days in a warm epsom salts bath to help with healing. Apply triple antibiotic ointment and re-wrap. Hope she heals quickly.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...acted-pockets-in-chickens-toe-webbing.950954/
View attachment 1981700
Yes, that was easy to clean after I got the dirt out, I then managed to squeeze out a huge hard lump which I suspect was dried pus then cleaned the hole out with a q tip soaked in betadine. I did that on both feet and the ine foot has healed well but she is still limping on the other foot. I checked it this morning and I cleaned it again but I only have betadine, the vet will not give me an antibiotic cream without me taking her to see him and it costs a fortune each time, maybe I could order some on line. I have wrapped it up for today as she was getting very stressed with me poking around, her comb actually turned purple but she is ok now.

Back
Top Bottom