Alright, so is this bumblefoot? no open wound.

someusername

Songster
Aug 6, 2018
In a house
one of my quail seems to have like a cyst or something on his foot pad, without a noticeable open wound, just a teeny bit of inflammation. It's a soft lump, so it probably isn't cancer, and antibiotics(neosporin) were adminishered topically. What should i do, i don't want to pop it because then it might be infected. Should i pop it? Pictures can be shown if requested. I have amoxicillin and neosporin(the triple antibiotic) with no painkiller and ethanol that can be used to treat infection. I don't have epsom salts.

Lots of bumblefoot pictures on Google. Here is a sample....

th
th
upload_2019-12-8_1-2-12.jpeg

To answer you directly, limping can be caused by other things like a chicken flying off the perch and landing too hard. Or, it may have been chased by another bird and banged it up on something. Holding a chicken wrong might put some stress on the leg and result in temporary limping. So many things can cause temporary limping.

Please update the thread with any/none treatment you decide to try and what the results were for the chicken. I hope this situation resolves itself in a day or two, but if you have to start a treatment, I would like to know what you tried and if it worked. Thanks.
Note: not a chicken, quail.

No treatment was applied beyond topical antibiotics, and quail seems to be doing fine.

Hello everyone, my Barred Rock hen has been limping on her left leg for a few days now, she will not let me pick her up to look at the bottom of her feet, she’s not though limping bad, should I just wait it out for a few more days or try to put her in my dog crate to look at her feet? She’s eating and drinking very good.. Thank you all Cynthia
I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Wait until she is roosting, then grab her off the roost for an examination. Photos of the legs, toes and bottoms of the feet would be good.

Were you able to get that pocket cleaned out really well too? Sometimes hardened debris can get into the nooks/crannies of the feet and become painful.
Glad you were able to get the pus out of the foot as well.
I would soak it every couple of days in a warm epsom salts bath to help with healing. Apply triple antibiotic ointment and re-wrap. Hope she heals quickly.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...acted-pockets-in-chickens-toe-webbing.950954/
View attachment 1981700
Yes, that was easy to clean after I got the dirt out, I then managed to squeeze out a huge hard lump which I suspect was dried pus then cleaned the hole out with a q tip soaked in betadine. I did that on both feet and the ine foot has healed well but she is still limping on the other foot. I checked it this morning and I cleaned it again but I only have betadine, the vet will not give me an antibiotic cream without me taking her to see him and it costs a fortune each time, maybe I could order some on line. I have wrapped it up for today as she was getting very stressed with me poking around, her comb actually turned purple but she is ok now.

Back
Top Bottom